3 hens to 1 silkie roo?

kchapman81

Chirping
Apr 26, 2021
CT
I recently started my back yard flock and I have two hens (a mystic onyx and a Plymouth blue rock) that are about 3ish months old and I added two silkies that are around a month younger however the silkies were straight run and I’m starting to see signs that one of them may be a roo. Would this ratio be okay? They all have good temperaments and are all handled on a daily basis. Please let me know! Obviously if there are signs of it not working out I would make other arrangements but wasn’t sure if I should be adding more hens right off the bat.

Attachments

• A02E4EE8-0194-4C2D-A613-032A46CB3D7B.jpeg
    A02E4EE8-0194-4C2D-A613-032A46CB3D7B.jpeg
    746 KB · Views: 17
  • 1B5E3463-D16E-444D-9AED-D848B61CDB7E.jpeg
    1B5E3463-D16E-444D-9AED-D848B61CDB7E.jpeg
    758.5 KB · Views: 5
Would this ratio be okay?
Only time will tell.
Have a plan B in place if he turns out to be trouble.

but wasn’t sure if I should be adding more hens right off the bat.
More females is often not the answer.

The 'rooster' to hen ratio of 1:10 that is often cited is primarily for fertility efficiency in commercial breeding facilities.

It doesn't mean that if a cockbird has 10 hens that he won't abuse or over mate them.

Many breeders keep pairs, trios, quads, etc ....short term and/or long term.

It all depends on the temperaments of the cock and hens and sometimes housing provided.

Backyard flocks can achieve good fertility with a larger ratio.

I recently started my back yard flock and I have two hens (a mystic onyx and a Plymouth blue rock) that are about 3ish months old and I added two silkies that are around a month younger however the silkies were straight run and I’m starting to see signs that one of them may be a roo. Would this ratio be okay? They all have good temperaments and are all handled on a daily basis. Please let me know! Obviously if there are signs of it not working out I would make other arrangements but wasn’t sure if I should be adding more hens right off the bat.
As others have noted, depends on the rooster. Silkies are known to be more docile then other breeds but it varies as it does with all breeds.
If you have the space to add more hens, then go for it! :D
I've had some roosters super calm and friendly and others hit 4 months old and switch from friendly to raging hormones, overmating and aggressive.

How did this turn out for you? I’m currently dealing with a similar situation. I started a flock of 4 bacon in October 2031 (2 satin silkies, 1 Frizzle Silkie, & a d’Uccle). The d’Uccle turned out to be a roo & has over mated with the frizzle that she’s lost feathers in spots. He is such a good boy otherwise. I can add 2 more hens, but for now I had to separate the roo into his own coop beside the girls. I am in a wait -and-see researching & hoping I can reintroduce in a few weeks. I think my own ratio might not work for me.

Back
Top Bottom