3 Legged Chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ddeans, Nov 20, 2008.

1. ddeans

ddeans Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Hey everyone, this is my first post, and I like the tons of information here.

I did a quick search and didn't see anything that relates to this, so I am posting here.

I ordered chicks and this is the first time that I have ever seen this, but one of them has 3 legs. What should I do? It doesn't seem like it bothers it, but I wasn't sure if it was fine to leave it or what.. Any advice would be great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  2. rubyv67

rubyv67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2008
    Daggett,CA
    [​IMG] Who on earth sent you a chick with such a major deformity? I personally would keep it, but you shouldn't have to pay for it.

3. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    Where did you order it from? I would be calling them! But if it is ok, and there is not structure problems, i would keep it. Call Ripleys!

4. whatsup chickenbutt

whatsup chickenbutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    nice..
    a three legged chicken and I cant see the picture...

now I can.
    EEWWWW..

5. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    already been one on this forum, was one of the most famous threads for awhile

6. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

refresh the page - you'll see it then, I had the same issue.

aweeeeeeee.....what a cutie pie [​IMG] Poor thing wont stand a chance with the other birds though, they'll notice and "sense" somethings off about the baby....wont they?

it is neat though... wonder if it's BYC first 3 legger? ETA: guess not (see post above) [​IMG]

7. glowworm

glowworm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2008
    SacraTomato, CA
    someone on here hatched out a 3 legged chick before. I believe they still have the chicken. Maybe they will see this post...you can also use the search function to find the post.

8. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
  9. ddeans

ddeans Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I ordered it from McMurrays. I ordered all red stars, and I got this one with 3 leggs and then I got one that is ALL black. I dont have any idea what kind it is.

10. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    Ayup! That one looks an aweful lot like dearest darling Tripod. I wouldn't worry about her. Tripod is doing very well, and laying eggs without a problem. The third leg is even in the same position as Tripod's! [​IMG]

PS: You are a whole lot calmer than I was, LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by