3 male ducks killed one female petkin.

So, 12 ducks for 2 drakes? I don't know about ducks, but maybe these people can help: @Isaac 0 @KaleIAm @DucksAreBest @SolarDuck
Thank you for the tag.

@VeryHappyHens I'm sorry this happened, that sounds very upsetting. I would be hesitant to call your drakes evil, as they surely had no intent to harm your duck. That doesn't mean their behavior was acceptable. Just that drakes often have a very strong drive to reproduce. They don't understand the consequences of their actions, or have the ability to control themselves. This is different from malicious intent. Please treat your drakes kindly until they are used for dinner or rehomed. I promise they didn't hurt anyone on purpose.

You are doing the right thing by building a separate area for drakes. I have female ducks who were overmated before I adopted them and one in particular has suffered long term damage. It is important to protect female ducks from being overmated.

I have a crested pekin, and the crest is a sensitive area. Even my females mate each other and hold on to each other's necks. Except when someone mounts my crested they hold on to her crest. This can be dangerous for her. Because of this I choose to not keep males, who mate more agressively.

I keep hearing different ideal drake/duck ratios. But it seems that you'll need to manage the situation regardless, as a drake may choose a favorite female. Most people agree 1 drake to 5 ducks minimum with management.

Thank you for the tag.

@VeryHappyHens I'm sorry this happened, that sounds very upsetting. I would be hesitant to call your drakes evil, as they surely had no intent to harm your duck. That doesn't mean their behavior was acceptable. Just that drakes often have a very strong drive to reproduce. They don't understand the consequences of their actions, or have the ability to control themselves. This is different from malicious intent. Please treat your drakes kindly until they are used for dinner or rehomed. I promise they didn't hurt anyone on purpose.

You are doing the right thing by building a separate area for drakes. I have female ducks who were overmated before I adopted them and one in particular has suffered long term damage. It is important to protect female ducks from being overmated.

I have a crested pekin, and the crest is a sensitive area. Even my females mate each other and hold on to each other's necks. Except when someone mounts my crested they hold on to her crest. This can be dangerous for her. Because of this I choose to not keep males, who mate more agressively.

I keep hearing different ideal drake/duck ratios. But it seems that you'll need to manage the situation regardless, as a drake may choose a favorite female. Most people agree 1 drake to 5 ducks minimum with management.
Thank you I will keep an eye on my crested female if anything happens. Once I get them.

Back
Top Bottom