3 missing hens

I would say dog, fox or coyote.. Coyote and fox usually take away their prey to eat in peace and leave a ton of feathers. Dogs play and kill only for sport unless you have packs of dogs that literally run wild.
We did just have a fox(a rather skinny one at that) that waltz through our yard the other morning, thankfully before we opened anyone up(I was literally walking out the door to go open them up and chased it off the property, then waited another hour to let them out to make sure the coast was clear). I'm thinking this is the most likely thing. I just wanted to ask around since the only predators we've dealt with were a weasel last spring and an owl that got one of our guineas.

I think a fox. It will be back and looking for an opportunity. You probably need to trap the fox and eliminate it. Not to worry as foxes are not endangered and when you eliminate one eventually more will show up. I eliminated one that killed my very special bird. It was mangy and sure did stink. Within a few days I saw another one on one of my game cameras.

We did just have a fox(a rather skinny one at that) that waltz through our yard the other morning, thankfully before we opened anyone up(I was literally walking out the door to go open them up and chased it off the property, then waited another hour to let them out to make sure the coast was clear). I'm thinking this is the most likely thing. I just wanted to ask around since the only predators we've dealt with were a weasel last spring and an owl that got one of our guineas.
Yes I would say then fox. They can smell chickens from miles away and always take their food away. They will often kill a few birds if not all and take as many as possible to dens. Good Luck getting rid of a fox it honestly takes a bullet. Fox are also extremely hard to trap unless they are babies.

I trapped a fox that killed my very special bird during the day. I set live traps and kept them baited for a few days and let the fox take the bait then I set the traps and caught the fox.
DSCF0012 22.jpg

Another time many years ago a fox dug under a gate to a pen and killed several birds. Now I have concrete under the gates. I put one of the dead birds in the center of a circle of leg traps and caught that fox. Now people are buying land and building around us so now I'm only using live traps in case I have an incidental catch and then I can release it. It was mangy and sure did stink.
IMG_4004.JPG

Here in Massachusetts, I live by 800 acers of wildlife management area... We have many hawk nests in that area. When I 1st started my feather farm, a hawk arrived, nailed two of my chickens, and left them to die... Hawk left no marks or bloody messes... Just a few scattered feathers and my poor chickens hiding til death, under a boat and my deck...
Now my girls are in more secure tree and roof covered areas. Hasn't happened again, but I do see the hawks lurking up above.
Add I added a rooster, he is a great hurdler and notifier

Back
Top Bottom