3 month old Sebright Rooster with yellow spotted comb

Jan 7, 2024
Island of Hawaii
My Coop
My Coop
Title is descriptive.
I have a silver Sebright roo who had a scab on his comb form earlier this week. I thought it was due to pecking from the other rooster and was monitoring for any signs of continued abuse or damage. Thankfully there has been no fighting from the roosters or any hen pecking. However, checking on the little dude today brought to light that he has yellow cyst like spots on his comb. What I thought was a scab appears to be growing around the base and is also yellow. Attached are some photos, though very HDR. I will add more when I can, but wanted to get opinions sooner in case I needed to treat him sooner.
1715207358016.png
1715207366367.png
1715207376160.png

This looks like fowl pox to me, a virus transmitted mostly by mosquitoes. It will run its course in about 3-4 weeks and you can help the birds by adding some poultry vitamins to their water and reducing stress.

https://www.msdvetmanual.com/poultry/fowlpox/fowlpox-in-chickens-and-turkeys
Thank you for your quick advice! I will add this into their water. Can't really do much more about stress.
I do have chicks- should I be extra diligent about bio controls to prevent the little ones from getting the virus? They are currently in brooder and not with the flock.

Back
Top Bottom