3 month old silkies - hens/roos, what do you think?

ronnijean

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 22, 2019
Hi all - I'm brand new to BYC (although I've been reading helpful threads for a few months now) and this is my very first post!!

I have two 3-month old bearded silkies. I know that it's impossible to know for sure until they crow or lay, but I've been searching and comparing pictures online to try to figure out if they are looking more boy or girl.

I've love any educated guesses anyone can offer! I'll make it a point to update this thread in a couple months with pictures once I know for sure too. :)

Gray silkie "Fluffy"
Fluffy3months.jpg

Black silkie "Choo Choo"
ChooChoo3months.jpg

Any thoughts or insights?

Thanks! :)

Welcome to BYC :frow
At 3 months old, there is no way to be 100% certain who is a pullet/cockerel, That’s just the way it is with silkies.
If you want to be positive on their genders you could order a DNA testing kit.

Guess looking I agree with Brahma thought might find some telltale sign
nope silky are a creature all their own but have 4 of my own all can lay if not broody here

Ok. I thought it was worth a try. I've read so many other thread where people can at least start to tell some signs at this age.

What else should I be looking for? Comb development, streamers, behaviors? I'm realllllly hoping that at least one of these is a pullet!! I already have an EE rooster and am only allowed to have 2 roosters max where I live. I'm hoping to not have to get rid of both of these cutie pies.

And silkie pullets don't start to lay until like 7 months, right? When do silkie roos start crowing? Gah, this feels like forever to wait to figure out what they are, lol!

My little girls one went broody after she layed one egg but to be honest I got them to hatch for me so it works I spoil them they have their own coop

Hi all - I'm brand new to BYC (although I've been reading helpful threads for a few months now) and this is my very first post!!

I have two 3-month old bearded silkies. I know that it's impossible to know for sure until they crow or lay, but I've been searching and comparing pictures online to try to figure out if they are looking more boy or girl.

I've love any educated guesses anyone can offer! I'll make it a point to update this thread in a couple months with pictures once I know for sure too. :)

Gray silkie "Fluffy"
View attachment 1650582

Black silkie "Choo Choo"
View attachment 1650589

Any thoughts or insights?

Thanks! :)
As of now , They both look like cockerels. But that is as of now, post again in a couple of weeks. They are gorgeous birds. Let’s hope I’m wrong

Choo choo is a cockerel. The other needs more time. Silkies are tricky. I had 2 that I thought were girls until they were older and got streamers. They were late bloomers. No comb, and rounded crest.

Back
Top Bottom