3 new chicks, should i take them away from mom

Mt Top Chick

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 10, 2009
Edgewood
My Guinea hen disappeared weeks ago, then there she was, in the chicken yard. she looked sick, so when i reached down to pick her up, 3 chicks popped out. so should i let her take care of them. if yes, can i feed them and her game starter?

i think one is blind and will have to be put down.

all my regular chicken hens have no rooster. but i did have one male and one female Guinea fowl. really didn't think anything would hatch.
Gina

Yep ! If she's doing a good job taking care of them, just let her keep doing it. Yes, game bird starter would be perfect for them.

Hope your little blind baby really isn't blind. What makes you think it is? If it is, I would probably cull it ASAP. Life's too mean for a blind guinea.

Thanks, my husband wants me to take them away. I really want to leave them with her. I just wasnt sure what to feed both chick and mother. When i looked at the chicks, one didnt have its eyes open. looked all purple and such. but it was just getting dark and i really couldnt see that well. I will check on them in the morning. thanks again

Quote:

Don't let her take the babies outside too early in the morning. The wet grass will probably be the end of the babies. If you can't keep them out of the wet grass, I would take them away from her.

Hows the baby's eyes look this morning?

I have had 100% success having a chicken raise keets, however, the two times that a Guinea has hatched out keets, they were all dead within a few days.
sad.png

Well, the little blind one was passed away this morning. As of 11am today, the other two were still alive. i am leaving work now and will check on them as soon as i get home. wish me and my new keets luck.

Gina

She will be fine with them if you pen her up until they are feathered pretty good, at least their wings. The mamas aren't well-known for keeping the keets warm
roll.png

I have yet to have a free-range guinea hen hatch and keep keets for more than a month, they always disappear.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom