3 New Female Muscovies are Starving

Stony7089

In the Brooder
Aug 19, 2022
Hello,

I bought 3 new Muscovies ~7 months old and I've been monitoring them for malnutrition over 5 days. They were skinny when I bought them but seem to be getting worse.

Day 1 Saturday I put them in a neutral space and gave them Our Star Mills waterfowl feed both wet and dry (our birds eat dry). All three were terrified of me from day one. It looked like they ate a little, not much.

Day 2 Sunday I introduced them to our male and female. The female was pecking at them but the male was nice. I put the waterfowl feed at opposite ends of a bush so they couldn't be bullied away from the food. Same conditions at night.

Day 3 Monday same as previous but I added some watermelon. At night I placed them all together in our enclosure at night with the female fenced off (they have places to hide from the male).

Day 4 Tuesday it was obvious they weren't filling out so I left them in our enclosure and removed the other ducks. The seller told me they were fed lay mash submerged underwater previously so I bought lay mash and gave it to them wet in three separate bowls (with water). By the end of the day they were surrounded by food but no evidence they had eaten. I kept them in the enclosure with both the male and female fenced off.

I am worried I'll lose one in particular (I think I can post a picture later). There's evidence of green Feces and pronounced emaciation ridge. She is almost too weak to run away now but she still honks and yelps at me. She hasn't separated from the flock they all stick together. I've got a vet appointment coming up but I don't know how long they can go without eating.

Was I sold sick birds?
What is this?

Hello,

I bought 3 new Muscovies ~7 months old and I've been monitoring them for malnutrition over 5 days. They were skinny when I bought them but seem to be getting worse.

Day 1 Saturday I put them in a neutral space and gave them Our Star Mills waterfowl feed both wet and dry (our birds eat dry). All three were terrified of me from day one. It looked like they ate a little, not much.

Day 2 Sunday I introduced them to our male and female. The female was pecking at them but the male was nice. I put the waterfowl feed at opposite ends of a bush so they couldn't be bullied away from the food. Same conditions at night.

Day 3 Monday same as previous but I added some watermelon. At night I placed them all together in our enclosure at night with the female fenced off (they have places to hide from the male).

Day 4 Tuesday it was obvious they weren't filling out so I left them in our enclosure and removed the other ducks. The seller told me they were fed lay mash submerged underwater previously so I bought lay mash and gave it to them wet in three separate bowls (with water). By the end of the day they were surrounded by food but no evidence they had eaten. I kept them in the enclosure with both the male and female fenced off.

I am worried I'll lose one in particular (I think I can post a picture later). There's evidence of green Feces and pronounced emaciation ridge. She is almost too weak to run away now but she still honks and yelps at me. She hasn't separated from the flock they all stick together. I've got a vet appointment coming up but I don't know how long they can go without eating.

Was I sold sick birds?
What is this?
I would be worried about parasites. Have you deformed them ?

I would be worried about parasites. Have you deformed them ?

No I haven't. I think we have some Ivermectin but I don't know if that works on ducks. What would I use for this?

Edit: I found some 12 mg Ivermectin tablets. It looks like more than 5 is unhealthy so I'll have to break them up. How would I administer?

Last edited:
No I haven't. I think we have some Ivermectin but I don't know if that works on ducks. What would I use for this?

Edit: I found some 12 mg Ivermectin tablets. It looks like more than 5 is unhealthy so I'll have to break them up. How would I administer?
Good, does it say oral or topical?

I know nothing about ducks but I have a crossbeak chicken and I've been told that if she starts losing weight that torpedo feeding to fill her crop 2-3 times a day will help. You might look into that as a way to help them maintain until the vet can see them.

I know nothing about ducks but I have a crossbeak chicken and I've been told that if she starts losing weight that torpedo feeding to fill her crop 2-3 times a day will help. You might look into that as a way to help them maintain until the vet can see them.
I've never heard of this before but the duck food should have the right consistency to form into torpedoes when it's wet. Does anybody know if this could work on muscovies? They like to wash down their food more than chickens but I feel like this should work.

I asked on my crossbeak group, since there are people there who keep crossbeak ducks. I'll add any specific advice I get, but my understanding is that dipping the torpedo in coconut oil helps it go down smooth.

@Miss Lydia has Muscovy ducks
My thought is yoy maybe have overwhelmed them introducing to soon. They should have a separate area with a see not touch for a week or two to let them adjust to you and the new surroundings
If they were skinny when you got them they may not like the feed they were being fed
My birds won’t eat wet feed but others feed wet and their ducks do good with it

I am worried I'll lose one in particular (I think I can post a picture later)

IMG_20230607_172858.jpg

Picture was taken today (wrappings are topical bumblefoot treatments). My oldest female (far right) is nice and plump, the white girl to the left doesn't look too bad she is a little skinny but the dark brown girl looks pretty bad to me like her body is sunken. I am most concerned about her. the light brown female (far left) also looks underweight.

I asked on my crossbeak group, since there are people there who keep crossbeak ducks. I'll add any specific advice I get, but my understanding is that dipping the torpedo in coconut oil helps it go down smooth.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom