3 of my 7 hens have lost a great deal of weight, how do I help them gain it back?

Radhanuga

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 26, 2014
North Carolina
I treated my flock of 7 for Coccidosis, then de-wormed them, they got second dose a few days ago of Valbazen, my Brahma's havign a rough time re-gaining weight, she's all bone and feathers, but eats well, full of energy and acting as usual, except not laying, but she's going through an early molt (she's 9 months old), she's lost at least half her weight. Two of my other hens are also very skinny looking, with feathers "crossing over" on breast.
They are all acting normal, feathers look normal, feet, combs, wattles are fine.
What do I feed them to help them recuperate and gain their weight back before cold hits?

Mine seem thin now too. I also am using Valbazen, but not Corid, since mine are full grown (I assume they have immunity to coccidiosis). Anyways, what I've been doing is feeding them boiled eggs, some chick starter, and scraps of meat to up their protein. You know, basically, I'm just feeding them a lot, and giving them extra veggies and fruits. Probably the eggs are the most helpful thing (and their favorite), and I'd have to throw them away otherwise, so it is a win/win. Oh, I also got some Rooster Booster powder that has both electrolytes and probiotics in their their water. I think I'm doing the right thing, but open to other ideas, so I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Back
Top Bottom