3 Roos, 3 flocks, 2 coops-- Am I crazy?

dschoey

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 26, 2013
We've only had chickens for 3 years but we're ready to go egg-selling-crazy. We've got a great market and have had lots of requests.
So, I'm planning to expanding my current flock of 15 hens 1 rooster into 3 flocks living in two coops-- is that even possible? The numbers and sq ft works out, but will the birds agree to these working conditions? ;)
We want a breeding flock which we will work to improve (1 roo, 5 hens, separate coop) and a layer flock (24 hens 2-3 roos, one big coop). I want to breed my layers too (hence the roos-- gotta have all the eggs fertile) but am not so worried about their quality so those ladies can decide which roo they like best-- all extras to the freezer. Ideally all 3 roos will free range with their ladies each day (up until that last few months before incubating when the breeding flock is confined to their run so I can keep track of who's who). I have 3 acres to range on and build additional housing on if needed and as we expand etc.
Any suggestions for keeping the fights down and teaching everyone to go to the correct coop at night? Is it safe to keep two Roos in the same coop or will I need to set up bachelor pads? I'm assuming that the bachelors won't get to free-range, is that correct?
Thanks for any tips,tricks, advice,
Diane

With three acres to roam, twenty nine hens (when they are not in at breeding season), two coops, the roosters should be good together. There is always the possibility that one may take a dislike to another, but that's one reason to have three, so one can be removed without a problem. Having a bachelor pat for the unwanted roosters you hatch may be worth having, to give you time till the unwanted are gone. It would be easier if they didn't free range. Curious. Why do you want or need to have the non breeders' eggs fertile? If you need more eggs for the incubator, increase the number on hens with the breeding flock.

As for having my layer flock fertile it's mainly cuz I want to raise replacement layers and to fill my freezer-- and do it without having too many hatches. Incubating is a bigger hassle than I realized. :)
We have a mixed layer flock (some Easter Eggers) and a Wyandotte flock (it's an emotional need of mine to help a heritage breed recover and I'm not expert enough to try a really rare one yet). Our current clients really like having the mix of blue and brown eggs... so I may have to get a pure Ameracauna Roo for the layer flock to keep my eggs multicolored.
Who knew pretty would sell better! :) Thanks for the advice, a meat bird run would simplify things a lot when I have multiple cock's growing out.
:)

My blue egg layers were sold by local hatchery as Ameraucanas but I've learned more now and think they're just Easter Eggers-- only a couple have muffs. Anyone know if I'll keep getting blue/green eggs if I just have a pure Ameracauna roo or will I need to start over with my layer hens to keep getting colored eggs?

Its nice to have all the eggs fertile for hatching. When I have one go broody, that way all I have to do is pick good eggs for them and not worry if I'm giving her duds.

I would think that would work just fine as long as the extra roosters aren't let out with the breeders.

Back
Top Bottom