3 roosters need new home(s)

StormyJ

In the Brooder
Aug 6, 2018
Virginia
I've got a 1-1.5 year old lacewing wynadotte rooster and his two sons (nearly 2 months old) that need new homes. The rooster we didn't know was a rooster until it was too late (), and with possibly two more I can't risk them fighting and hurting each other or tearing up the hens. I don't want them to go to places where they'll be slaughtered or otherwise mistreated, so I'm hoping someone here would be willing and able to provide them a good long life. I'm in Virginia about an hour north of the NC border on I-95.

Here's Rodney (he's a jerk):
20180807_171857.jpg

20180807_171807.jpg
20180807_171823.jpg
20180807_171622.jpg

The babies are most likely wynadotte/buff brahma crosses.
20180807_171657.jpg
20180807_171715.jpg
20180807_171727.jpg
20180807_171739.jpg

If you need them away from the hens now, you can make a rooster flock. Just put them together, with NO access to the girls. Since there's no competition they'll tolerate each other. I have 2 rooster flocks and they get along great.
Then your hens won't be overbred while you're trying to find homes for these guys, unless you decide to keep them.

Good luck finding them homes :hugs

If you need them away from the hens now, you can make a rooster flock. Just put them together, with NO access to the girls. Since there's no competition they'll tolerate each other. I have 2 rooster flocks and they get along great.
Then your hens won't be overbred while you're trying to find homes for these guys, unless you decide to keep them.

Good luck finding them homes :hugs
I have 2 cockerels almost 5 months old. They’ve been free ranging for months and breeding my 4 older hens for several weeks.
I’m going to need to put them in an enclosed coop/run together for several months so my pullets can grow up and be ready for male attention.
Unfortunately I’m unable to place them somewhere that they can’t see the girls everyday.
Will this even work?
They grew up together and are very used to each other.

I have 2 cockerels almost 5 months old. They’ve been free ranging for months and breeding my 4 older hens for several weeks.
I’m going to need to put them in an enclosed coop/run together for several months so my pullets can grow up and be ready for male attention.
Unfortunately I’m unable to place them somewhere that they can’t see the girls everyday.
Will this even work?
They grew up together and are very used to each other.
It should. My bantam rooster flock has a full view of my pullets and hens due the way my property is. Once in a while they will pace if the hens are causing a commotion (I think they want to go protect them, not for sure) but other than that, they get along just the same as my Flock with 0 access to viewing females.
My advice is to observe them for a little bit and see how they react, they'll calm down after a few days.

It should. My bantam rooster flock has a full view of my pullets and hens due the way my property is. Once in a while they will pace if the hens are causing a commotion (I think they want to go protect them, not for sure) but other than that, they get along just the same as my Flock with 0 access to viewing females.
My advice is to observe them for a little bit and see how they react, they'll calm down after a few days.
I tried this once for half a day back when I had 3 LF cockerels and 1 bantam Cochin cockerel.
It didn’t work out then because the top boy beat up on the two lower ranking ones.
He’s been sent to freezer camp for stalking and biting me and the Cochin was rehomed because he wanted to be alpha and I don’t want a bantam alpha.
The two that are left are the 2nd and 4th ranked.
They don’t fight but seem to compete for the girls, often both will chase a girl and if the lower one breeds her the current alpha will kick him off if the hen doesn’t do it first lol.
I didn’t mention that I have a Silkie cockerel also raised with the same group.
I just didn’t know he was male until recently.
He will still free range with the girls because I don’t want to put him in with Loki and Angus as I don’t think he would do well.
The only reason I’m even doing this is because I’m rehoming 3 of the 4 adult hens which will leave 1 adult and 2 pullets.
Not a good ratio.
I have 11 sexed 1 month old females to make a better ratio when they’re ready.

I tried this once for half a day back when I had 3 LF cockerels and 1 bantam Cochin cockerel.
It didn’t work out then because the top boy beat up on the two lower ranking ones.
He’s been sent to freezer camp for stalking and biting me and the Cochin was rehomed because he wanted to be alpha and I don’t want a bantam alpha.
The two that are left are the 2nd and 4th ranked.
They don’t fight but seem to compete for the girls, often both will chase a girl and if the lower one breeds her the current alpha will kick him off if the hen doesn’t do it first lol.
I didn’t mention that I have a Silkie cockerel also raised with the same group.
I just didn’t know he was male until recently.
He will still free range with the girls because I don’t want to put him in with Loki and Angus as I don’t think he would do well.
The only reason I’m even doing this is because I’m rehoming 3 of the 4 adult hens which will leave 1 adult and 2 pullets.
Not a good ratio.
I have 11 sexed 1 month old females to make a better ratio when they’re ready.
I just introduced some more cockerels to the bantam rooster flock tonight, the fighting happens when the new guys scream when pecked. I'm thinking weakness riles them up. The one I introduced yesterday either fought back when pecked or just silently walked away and did nothing when charged or approached. He's already 100% accepted and respected 24 hours after introduction. I had to kennel the new guys tonight as they were too scared. So I suppose it always depends on the induviduals? I'm still teaching myself, as I have no one to learn from.

Back
Top Bottom