3 week old chick cant stand

Lem0n

Hatching
Oct 18, 2020
We checked this morning and they were all running around, but this afternoon a chick couldn't stand up. She was laying on her side. Whenever we pick her up she cries until we put her on her back. We have moved and put a little pressure on her legs but she doesn't cry with that either. We've separated her but we dont know how to help her

Is she showing any symptoms like: sneezing, coughing, foamy/swollen eyes, acting lethargic or standing in one place for an eternity? Because if she is she could be sick.

Is she showing any symptoms like: sneezing, coughing, foamy/swollen eyes, acting lethargic or standing in one place for an eternity? Because if she is she could be sick.
No, she is just laying on her side but can't stand. She doesn't have any sneezing, coughing, or swollen eyes

chicks tend to suddenly lay on their sides randomly although i am not expert. if she is breathing fine (no wheezing/rasping/breathing with her mouth open/panting) then she could just be taking a nap. chicks do it quite often but if it is not common among your flock i am not so sure what could be wrong. Has she been eating normally? Dehydration could be the issue.

chicks tend to suddenly lay on their sides randomly although i am not expert. if she is breathing fine (no wheezing/rasping/breathing with her mouth open/panting) then she could just be taking a nap. chicks do it quite often but if it is not common among your flock i am not so sure what could be wrong. Has she been eating normally? Dehydration could be the issue.
She hasn't been eating and drinking normally since she can't walk. Whenever we stand her up she falls back over

She hasn't been eating and drinking normally since she can't walk. Whenever we stand her up she falls back over
20201018_173733.jpg

I'm not so sure then. It could possibly be serious. Maybe do some research? It could be leg paralysis if she isn't showing any other signs of illness (i had to search that up) but i am no expert. I would say to just wait for someone else to come by this thread (someone more experienced ) but im not so sure of what to do. I'll spread this message though, hope someone gets to you.

We checked this morning and they were all running around, but this afternoon a chick couldn't stand up. She was laying on her side. Whenever we pick her up she cries until we put her on her back. We have moved and put a little pressure on her legs but she doesn't cry with that either. We've separated her but we dont know how to help her
Welcome to BYC! :frow

Sorry to hear about your chick. :hmm

Where was she when you found her? Is she being raised by a broody, or in a brooder? Where did the chick come from? How many chicks in how much space? Were they vaccinated for anything? Is her vent clear from any blockage? How does the crop feel.. empty, squishy, hard full?

Can you feel any heat or swelling in the legs.. do they paddle when you pick her up? What is the usual feed including treats and supplements? Is the top of the beak as short as it looks or is it an optical illusion?

What is your general location? It will help to know what resources may be available to you.

:fl

I'm not so sure then. It could possibly be serious. Maybe do some research? It could be leg paralysis if she isn't showing any other signs of illness (i had to search that up) but i am no expert. I would say to just wait for someone else to come by this thread (someone more experienced ) but im not so sure of what to do. I'll spread this message though, hope someone gets to you.
Okay thank you

I had one problem like that, but it was some years ago, then my chikens lived in one cold shed, and there was a frost, one chiken slept in very cold concrete floor, she was wet (legs was wet because she plopped into the drinker one time and after that she couldt not stand or walk.
She lived two or three weeks in my house, sit near of pipes of house heating, after that she begin to walk normally. After some times i built a good wooden floor on this concrete floor, and never had this problem again.

But now it`s not winter, it`s now not so cold now... She did not fall from anywhere, or, maybe, any adult big cock standed on this chiken? I had one problem when my bashkirian drake (it`s heavy big ducks) wanted to breed width indian runner ducks (light small ducks), and after that this ducks could not stand some hours (the drake was too heavy). After this i get some strange ducks from eggs - they were something in between of the two breeds.

There are also problems with paws when inbreeding takes place, but the chicken in the photo clearly does not have any inbreeding, because such chickens usually have pronounced crooked fingers, this is always visible.

I have no more ideas...

Back
Top Bottom