3 week old chicks feather picking

Jan 1, 2020
Eastern North Carolina, USA
I’ve noticed my chicks start feather picking about a week ago, they were picking wing feathers until they bleed. I moved them into a bigger pen because I know that was part of the culprit and now it has lessened but I’m still seeing some feather picking. I was wondering if it could be from boredom or lack of protein, I’m currently feeding them Purina chick Start and grow. There are 18 of them so I was also wondering if separating half of them would help. What are some ways I can keep them distracted from feather picking? The picture is of their current pen, had to move them into a breeding pen because that’s all I have ready at the moment. The blue container is something I made so they can stay warm on cold nights.

Attachments

• D8A82B5B-EF5D-45F9-BF74-A7CECC254DA2.jpeg
    D8A82B5B-EF5D-45F9-BF74-A7CECC254DA2.jpeg
    856.2 KB · Views: 12
What breeds are these chicks? If some are very aggressive breeds, it would help to separate them from the more docile breeds.

Space is the best medicine. So are distractions such as things to climb on and hide behind. Numerous feeders in different locations helps. Soft things to peck at can help, such as tennis balls with red dots painted onto them with red magic markers. I fashioned a pecking toy by stapling a window caulking foam noodle to a wooden block, and put red duct tape stripes on the foam noodle.

Be creative and give them other colorful soft things to peck at instead of each other.

What breeds are these chicks? If some are very aggressive breeds, it would help to separate them from the more docile breeds.

Space is the best medicine. So are distractions such as things to climb on and hide behind. Numerous feeders in different locations helps. Soft things to peck at can help, such as tennis balls with red dots painted onto them with red magic markers. I fashioned a pecking toy by stapling a window caulking foam noodle to a wooden block, and put red duct tape stripes on the foam noodle.

Be creative and give them other colorful soft things to peck at instead of each other.
Thank you for the advice, the chicks are all blue Laced Red Wyandotte’s

but I’m still seeing some feather picking.
Is it one particular bird that is doing the pecking?
Probably hard to tell since they are all the same breed.

If a pin feather gets pecked and bleeds for a prolonged period,
it should be fully plucked out to stop the bleeding.

The blue container is something I made so they can stay warm on cold nights.
What is the wattage of the heat bulb there?
Looks rather dangerous....fumes, melting, fire.

Might want to add some 'clutter' for distraction.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

Is it one particular bird that is doing the pecking?
I think it’s a couple of different ones, I haven’t seen any of them bleeding any more after I put blue coat on their wounds, they are just pulling and eating the feathers now.
What is the wattage of the heat bulb there?
Looks rather dangerous....fumes, melting, fire
It’s a 90 watt, I’ve been checking on it and I’m not seeing any melting. What do you recommend? Maybe just a higher wattage light and remove the container?

It’s a 90 watt, I’ve been checking on it and I’m not seeing any melting. What do you recommend? Maybe just a higher wattage light and remove the container?
No, that should be good,
just watch how hot it gets and if the plastic is softening or getting warm.
I was concerned that you might have had a real heat bulb(125-250W) in there.
You might not even need that enclosure, don't want them to get too warm...
...they need to be able to get away from the heat if needed.

Back
Top Bottom