3 week old duckling itching beak and sneezing! Please help!

Gemduckmum

Chirping
Apr 21, 2018
UK
My 3-4 week old runner duckling, Waldo, has been itching around his beak a lot since I got him 5 days ago. Recently he has started sneezing more but I don’t think there is any discharge around his nose. He just acts differently to my other ducklings but he eats and drinks loads, runs around and preens like normal so am I worrying too much? I’ve also noticed a dry patch on the back of his neck and at the top of his back so maybe he’s just itching dry skin? They have constant access to food and the water dish is deep enough to get their whole beaks in but not their entire body. Should I give them a full bath and see if that helps him? He just sounds a bit congested but he does dip his beak in the water. Please help, I’m new to this and want what’s best for my ducks!

Welcome to BYC

At 3 weeks they are losing down and that itches since it seems everyone's duckling does the itching at that time. If they haven't had a bath yet by all mean let them have some fun, nice warm water up to top of their legs first then next days you can make it deeper but always stay with them so they don't get water logged. Or chilled. After bath pat dry and right back under heat to finish drying. See if that helps. What are the temps in your brooder?

Welcome to BYC

At 3 weeks they are losing down and that itches since it seems everyone's duckling does the itching at that time. If they haven't had a bath yet by all mean let them have some fun, nice warm water up to top of their legs first then next days you can make it deeper but always stay with them so they don't get water logged. Or chilled. After bath pat dry and right back under heat to finish drying. See if that helps. What are the temps in your brooder?
Thank you for replying so fast! I definitely won’t leave them unattended in the water and I’m not sure exactly the temperature. I have a large enclosure for my 5 ducklings in my bedroom and my house is very warm. Basically we rescued one 3-4 week old duckling after it was abandoned and I knew it needed friends so we got another one the same age (Waldo) and 3 hatchlings. The people we got the ducks from said a normal 60 watt lamp would be fine as long as they’re indoors away from drafts and none of the other ducklings are having any issues. They have a fluffy tube thing filled with blankets that they snooze in and the lamp is always on.

Try letting them have some water time you'll enjoy and they def will. As for congestion hopefully getting into some warm water and cleaning up good will take care of that too.

Let us know how it goes.

Try letting them have some water time you'll enjoy and they def will. As for congestion hopefully getting into some warm water and cleaning up good will take care of that too.

Let us know how it goes.
Just given the two older ducks a bath and they loved it, though Waldo was more hesitant to get his head fully under. He’s not sneezing anymore but he is still scratching. Also he seems to be limping slightly, though he’s still happy to stand up and use that leg to scratch and stuff and I can’t see any injury so I don’t know why he’s doing that! I’m thinking of taking him to the vet tomorrow but would appreciate your opinion on whether these are all normal duck things, Thank you so much for your help!

My duckling did the same thing. What I figured out that, as weird as it sounds, his bill was shedding. Small pieces of skin would fall off and he would start itching again. Give him some lukewarm water and he should be good!

My duckling did the same thing. What I figured out that, as weird as it sounds, his bill was shedding. Small pieces of skin would fall off and he would start itching again. Give him some lukewarm water and he should be good!
Thanks! He did seem to have some white flaky bits around his beak the other day so maybe it’s just that. I hope the itching stops soon as it can’t be comfortable for the little thing! I’m now a bit worried about his walking as he seems to have a slight limp but no sign of injury! I’ve just ordered some brewers yeast as I figured it couldn’t hurt to strengthen his little legs a bit!

That is probably what they all could use is some extra niacin it's very important for water fowl babies and some duckling just need more. So be sure to put 1 Tab per cup of feed till 10 weeks of age. My flock still gets Nutritional yeast in their feed 1X a week. It's so very good for them and us.

That is probably what they all could use is some extra niacin it's very important for water fowl babies and some duckling just need more. So be sure to put 1 Tab per cup of feed till 10 weeks of age. My flock still gets Nutritional yeast in their feed 1X a week. It's so very good for them and us.
I will do! Thanks for all your advice! I so want to make sure my babies are all happy and healthy!

Back
Top Bottom