3 week old peacock peahen sleeping habit

Scoutinspace

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2021
Hello,

I have had my peacock since she/he was less than one day old. She has imprinted big time.

She refused a heat lamp and heat plate and I admittedly let her sleep close to me (not easy as I’ve lost sleep!) but it’s the only way she feels the warmth of a mother - so I’m kinda damned on this one.

Now that’s she’s three weeks old - I really would like to get her to sleep on her own without calling out for hours (which she did before with lamp/etc - as if she feels totally alone.
I have a bird travel carrier that she walks in to eat and drink and lives it. I’ve been trying to get her to be comfortable there do she can go there to sleep at night once her temperature isn’t so dependent.

Any advice from anyone who has hand raised peafowl?

When they are hand raises they sure do like to cuddle! But I kinda dig myself ahold on being so hands on

Thank you

Hello,

I have had my peacock since she/he was less than one day old. She has imprinted big time.

She refused a heat lamp and heat plate and I admittedly let her sleep close to me (not easy as I’ve lost sleep!) but it’s the only way she feels the warmth of a mother - so I’m kinda damned on this one.

Now that’s she’s three weeks old - I really would like to get her to sleep on her own without calling out for hours (which she did before with lamp/etc - as if she feels totally alone.
I have a bird travel carrier that she walks in to eat and drink and lives it. I’ve been trying to get her to be comfortable there do she can go there to sleep at night once her temperature isn’t so dependent.

Any advice from anyone who has hand raised peafowl?

When they are hand raises they sure do like to cuddle! But I kinda dig myself ahold on being so hands on

Thank you
Is she the only one? She’s probably super lonely.

She lives inside (for now) and does have the company of myself, my two daughters - and of course my pup Scout and indoor bunny, Donut. Since I work remotely, she is with me all day - and basically just like another member of the family! She is so loving and sits on my/our laps, gives neck hugs (goes on our shoulder and puts her neck on our neck and then is pet) etc. The only thing is when its time for bed at night - she insists on sleeping close to my neck/snuggled - and I am working on her sleeping on her own when shes ready. Its tough on the farm because there are so many critters who are after young peachicks. Even yesterday a hawk tried to fly through my living room window when he heard/saw this peachick inside eating food. The hawk flew straight into the window - twice! Any and all advice on a very imprinted peachick (who I hope to give a great life to) is welcome.

Back
Top Bottom