3 week old with string stuck in throat!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by khable, May 24, 2010.

1. khable

khable Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2007
    LaGrangeville, NY
    Help...

One of our 3 week old babies tried to eat a string and it is hanging out of his mouth.

I can't seem to pull it out and am afraid to pull too hard.

What can we do??

Need help fast.

2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Pull it out, just do it with a very slow even pull.

3. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    pull slowly, if feels like it wont give lube bird up with olive oil and try pulling some more.

4. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    I would also be careful to look very closely to make sure its not wrapped around her tongue.

5. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    It won't do it any real harm in the short term, so don't rush things, you could wait it out and see if he swallows it - depends on the kind of string if it's digestable or not - ours often eat house geckos and walk about for an hour with the tail hanging out their mouths because the crop is full with the body.

As Neeleys says be VERY careful that it's not wrapped round the tongue.

If you can, wait until it's dark and do it by torchlight - they are a million times more calm in the dark - even with a torch blazing in their faces.

Best of luck

6. KKatknap

KKatknap Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Albany, OR
    This happened with a friend of mine, and her mother cut the string before they called me. Gave the chick some bits of bread soaked in olive oil (chick apparently LOVED this little treat), some extra grit, and kept an eye on her. She ended up being just fine.

I agree to make sure it's not around the tongue.

Oven - I have to say that the mental pic of chickens running around with tails hanging out of their mouths made me chuckle...and gag a little. [​IMG]

ETA - I also had them put OACV in their water to prevent the crop from souring...just in case. 1 Tbs/gal works well.

Last edited: May 24, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by