3 weeks apart

I'm slowly transitioning them together. I tried putting them instantly together- not a good idea. Feathers flew. So right now they're in two brooders separated by wire for the next few weeks until I remove the wire panel. Then they'll be together for another few weeks before they go outside with the rest of the chickens.

I have two sets of chicks -- 10 four-week-olds and 11 two-week-olds. They are separate but can hear each other, and I'd like to take out the divider so they can all be together. I tried this for a few hours with close supervision, and the smaller ones seemed really insecure and huddled together mostly, only venturing apart when the bigger ones were calmed down more. There was some pecking from 1 larger Barred Rock -- and she's always been really curious so I can't tell how she meant it, but it did look a little aggressive. She's the top lady at this point.

Is it normal for the little ones to be scared at first? Should I wait another week and try again or do you think I was overly cautious? Need advice as a first time chicken owner -- everything has gone great so far and I don't want to screw it up! :)

I mix the ages all the time but how big is your brooder is the real question and just keep an eye on the pecking or bulling
pop.gif

See different poultry can get along and different ages
hugs.gif

gander007
old.gif

There does seem to be some bullying especially by one bigger Barred Rock. It has also seemed to make all the bigger chickens a little more aggressive toward each other. They did ok through the night but still seem to be having issues getting along this morning.

Back
Top Bottom