3 year old oegb brassy backs

anjbagley

Songster
10 Years
Aug 21, 2009
Star Valley Wyoming
Hey there all. I bought a trio of brassy backs because I really wanted some babies to raise up. They are 3 years old but the guy said that the hens were still laying and I could still breed for a while. Well... that was 6 months ago and nothing yet. I know when you move birds like that they will stop laying for a while. I have had hens stop for a couple of months. Add to that the fact that we headed into winter and cold weather could play a role. Still not an egg. Does anyone have experience with these awesome birds? Should I keep hoping that an egg will come or find somewhere to order some babies? Thanks for any ideas.

The eggs will come once the days get longer. Birds of any breed will lay eggs for years & years. It is only the special bread eggers that keep pushing them out all winter. I use lamps inside the coop to encourage them to keep laying but I'm still only getting 1 egg per day now when I used to get a ton more.

The birds can live to be 10 or older & will lay then entire time, but obviously less & less as they age. You should expect to start seeing eggs in the next month or so I would hope.

Thank you for that. I will wait and see what happens. I have never seen my rooster try to breed the hens. Is this normal for oe bantams? My regular roos are going after hens constantly so it seems strange.

Back
Top Bottom