3 year old sapphire gem watery diarrhea and lethargic

IowaClucker

Chirping
Mar 13, 2022
Iowa
Hi. I have a 3 year old sapphire gem that has had watery, white diarrhea with green solid droppings for 11 days. I took her to the vet on day 4 into her illness and she was negative for coccidiosis, worms and avian flu. They told me to worm her with Panacur paste for 5 days, give electrolytes, Tylan 50 and rest. I stopped the Tylan two days ago per my vet. Well, her diarrhea has improved, it’s not as watery and explosive but she is still tired.
My vet is stumped and I am too. X-rays we’re negative for egg binding and negative for not completely formed
51FADF08-9D63-4180-B12B-5236091AF887.jpeg
egg. She is calling around to other vets at Iowa State and Nebraska to help me. She told me to start medicated feed tonight and Corid even though she is negative for coccidiosis.

Any advice as to what we’re dealing with?

Attachments

• 3340E513-932B-49A3-AEFE-A249484C194E.jpeg
    3340E513-932B-49A3-AEFE-A249484C194E.jpeg
    503.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 14D21CA8-9DD4-4C7C-88F2-780F7E3C1774.jpeg
    14D21CA8-9DD4-4C7C-88F2-780F7E3C1774.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
Any lice or mites?
Crop emptying?
When did she last lay an egg?

Did you finish the 5 day course of Tylan50? What dose and how many times a day?

Wormed with Panacur? What dose?

A gram stain may be helpful or a different antibiotic. Baytril is banned for use in poultry, but sometimes a vet will prescribe it. Tylan50 is mostly used to treat symptoms of respiratory infection from MG, but can be used to treat Enteritis, but I would give a higher dose than you would use for respiratory illness.

I'm not sure why you would give medicated feed along with the Corid. Most chick starters contain a very low amount of Amprolium, which is Corid....
So. If you just treat her with the Corid at the right dose, then that should take care of Coccidiosis.
Powdered Corid dose is 1 1/2 tsp or Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water. Don't give extra vitamins and/or electrolytes during the treatment period.

I would get her eating her normal feed, cut out scratch and veggies. Give her some egg as a daily treat.

Hopefully she will feel better soon.

Any lice or mites?
Crop emptying?
When did she last lay an egg?

Did you finish the 5 day course of Tylan50? What dose and how many times a day?

Wormed with Panacur? What dose?

A gram stain may be helpful or a different antibiotic. Baytril is banned for use in poultry, but sometimes a vet will prescribe it. Tylan50 is mostly used to treat symptoms of respiratory infection from MG, but can be used to treat Enteritis, but I would give a higher dose than you would use for respiratory illness.

I'm not sure why you would give medicated feed along with the Corid. Most chick starters contain a very low amount of Amprolium, which is Corid....
So. If you just treat her with the Corid at the right dose, then that should take care of Coccidiosis.
Powdered Corid dose is 1 1/2 tsp or Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water. Don't give extra vitamins and/or electrolytes during the treatment period.

I would get her eating her normal feed, cut out scratch and veggies. Give her some egg as a daily treat.

Hopefully she will feel better soon.
Thank you for replying. The vet called me late yesterday and she had me start her on tetracycline. I did not give her anymore Corid as I thought that was rather silly since she tested negative for coccidiosis.

No lice or mites.
Crop is empty in the morning and feels normal throughout the day. No sour smell or foul smell.
It has been well over 2 weeks I believe since she last layed an egg. Could be due to stress of illness? X-rays showed no egg or any blockages.

Tylan50 was injected once per day at 1ml dose, her weight is 5.5lbs, vet said that was the correct dose?

Panacur was 0.25ml once daily for 7 days. Vet said she was negative for worms but said to give it to her anyways.

When I spoke to the vet last night she said it may be avian leukosis and she will likely die.

I’m not ready to throw in the towel but I don’t want her to suffer. She is very lethargic and is eating and drinking quite a bit. Her coloring is normal and no respiratory issues that we have noticed.

I’m lost to say the least.

Normally Tylan 50 dosage is 0.25 ml per pound given 3 times a day, and most people give it orally to chickens (remove the needle.) What made the vet suspect avian leukosis? Are their tumors? Reproductive disorders, cancer, and crop problems can be common causes of illness in chickens. Sometimes we may not know for sure what was affecting them, until a necropsy can be done after death. Your state vet pathologist would be the best person to do that. Here is a list of state vets to contact if that happens:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Normally Tylan 50 dosage is 0.25 ml per pound given 3 times a day, and most people give it orally to chickens (remove the needle.) What made the vet suspect avian leukosis? Are their tumors? Reproductive disorders, cancer, and crop problems can be common causes of illness in chickens. Sometimes we may not know for sure what was affecting them, until a necropsy can be done after death. Your state vet pathologist would be the best person to do that. Here is a list of state vets to contact if that happens:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
My vet called an avian vet and described her symptoms and said most adult birds don’t get coccidiosis or have issues with worms so it’s likely avian leukosis according to them. No tumors to my knowledge.

What would you do if you were me? Restart the Tylan50? Discontinue the tetracycline? Can I use the Tylan50 I have and give it orally or do I have to purchase a different product?

Thanks for replying.

I would give the Tylan 50 orally at the 0.25 ml per pound dosage for 5 days. That can treat MG respiratory disease and enteritis. There are other antibiotics for treating possible reproductive infection, such as amoxicillin or enrofloxacin. Since they tested for coccidiosis with a fecal float, it would have shown up if she had that. I would get a necropsy if you lose her. That would diagnose Leukosis or other diseases.

Hi. I have a 3 year old sapphire gem that has had watery, white diarrhea with green solid droppings for 11 days. I took her to the vet on day 4 into her illness and she was negative for coccidiosis, worms and avian flu. They told me to worm her with Panacur paste for 5 days, give electrolytes, Tylan 50 and rest. I stopped the Tylan two days ago per my vet. Well, her diarrhea has improved, it’s not as watery and explosive but she is still tired.
My vet is stumped and I am too. X-rays we’re negative for egg binding and negative for not completely formed View attachment 3028296egg. She is calling around to other vets at Iowa State and Nebraska to help me. She told me to start medicated feed tonight and Corid even though she is negative for coccidiosis.

Any advice as to what we’re dealing with?

Don't give medication .
It happens when the Flora of gut Imbalance or there's some kind of Mycotoxin ingested by the chicken through food or from the environment
Usually Mycotoxins cause this kind of issues .
You should add some Probiotics & Prebiotics in water .
http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/mycotoxicosis

I would give the Tylan 50 orally at the 0.25 ml per pound dosage for 5 days. That can treat MG respiratory disease and enteritis. There are other antibiotics for treating possible reproductive infection, such as amoxicillin or enrofloxacin. Since they tested for coccidiosis with a fecal float, it would have shown up if she had that. I would get a necropsy if you lose her. That would diagnose Leukosis or other diseases.
Do I discontinue the tetracycline?
Can I use the injectable Tylan orally or do I need to get a powder form?
Thank you so much for helping me!

Panacur was 0.25ml once daily for 7 days. Vet said she was negative for worms but said to give it to her anyways.

Tylan50 was injected once per day at 1ml dose, her weight is 5.5lbs, vet said that was the correct dose?
I would give the Tylan50 at 0.25ml per pound of weight given orally 3 times a day for 5 days in a row.

Panacur dose is 0.25ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

It won't hurt to use the Corid, but if the fecal float didn't show anything, then not sure if you should dose her or not.

Keep her eating/drinking. Hard to know if it's disease like LL. Reproductive issues can be common in laying hens, but if you do lose her, a necropsy would give the best info.

Back
Top Bottom