$30 Automatic Chicken Coop Door Plans

HOLY CRAP!!! Thank you soooo much for these plans! We spent a fortune on the $200+ door openers and already had 2 of them break (out of 3!) When they break we have to send them back, huge pain. We have 5 other houses so I couldn't justify getting any more of those expensive ones, especially w/ the track record on them breaking within 2 months. Can't wait to try something home-made instead!! (at least we might have a chance of fixing it ourselves whenever it malfunctions - we check all doors every night and morning anyhow, but this would save us from having to get up so early! - thanks so much!)

I've seen many different types of automatic doors, including yours before. They are great when there are times when you just can't make it to the hen house in time. nice job
smile.png

Hi,

Has anyone built this style of auto opener and closer lately? The type of cordless screwdriver that Chris used is not really available any longer. His had a switch that changed motor direction and now it is pretty much accomplished by a directional trigger so the wiring changes and I think now it may need another relay but not sure.

I am desparate to get this type of door working as I recently lost my birds to a bobcat due to my error on one night. So before I start over I want this working. Anyone that has built one recently and can offer any advice would be helpful.

Thanks!

just got done building the screw gun part works great. next is the door and latch system. the y didnt have the same gun but same concept. took a while to figure it out but got it done. thanks so much.

I know this thread is fours years old, but I had to comment as cfabe's youtube video of his lever inspired mine. I have seen several other auto locking designs and even at least one other that is a similar lever, but this was the first and the one that got me to design mine. I have already had compliments on mine, and I am really chagrined, as I didn't come up with it in any way. So thank you, if you are still out there, and I hope I can pay forward the good design.

I added an automatic latch to the door to prevent it from being opened by lifting from the outside. It's just a counterweighted lever that engages a pin beside the door. When the opener lifts the door, it pulls on the lever to unlatch it before the door moves.
P1040037.JPG

Youtube video:

Hi there,

I'm interested in building one of these for our ladies but have run across a question. I'm no electrical expert and this will be my first encounter with wiring something, I have soldered before though. My issue is, the lowest voltage screwdriver I was able to find is a 4.8V from Harbor Freight (they no longer carry the 3.6V). Will the switches and diodes I order still be the same or do I need different ones because of the higher voltage? I'm also wondering if I couldn't just pop one of the (4) 1.2V batteries off the battery pack dropping it down to 3.6? They're attached by little bands of metal so I don't know if that would mess things up or not. Any advice would be great.. I can provide a photo of the guts of my screwdriver if need be. Thanks.

Grizz

Back
Top Bottom