31 weeks old and still no egg

nakstk

Songster
8 Years
Sep 19, 2011
Kalama, Washington
I am trying so hard to be patient but it's getting a little difficult. I know EE's take longer then other breeds before they lay but her Wellie sisters I got her with have been laying since the 12th of Oct. Greta hasn't even started to squat yet :( She is still so wild and crazy. Please tell me I won't have to wait til spring to see what color egg she will lay.......

We have two Columbian Wyandottes that are about 28 weeks and haven't started yet. They're healthy, bigger than our 1-1/2 year olds. I'm guessing it's the short days (no supplemental light) and cold weather.

I just checked my notes, our two older ones started this same week last year, and they were born around the same time a year earlier, so perhaps our young'uns will get cranking soon. Hope so, the old gals are now slowing down for the winter.

My 5 Speckled Sussex all stopped laying back in the end of Sept beginning on Oct. They were all molting and were very grumpy. lol It must just be the short days mine don't have supplemental lighting either.

My EE hatched in mid-March (so is about 34 weeks old now?), and she started laying fairly dark green eggs just this weekend. So I think there's hope! I have others who are about a month younger...they haven't started yet either. I thinking about setting a light up in the coop...

32 weeks and 4 days still no eggs but her behavior has changed a bit. She is less flighty and has let me actually pet her. She even ran up to me with her flock mates. Normally she stands back about 6 feet away and watches me very carefully. I haven't seen her squat yet but I am hoping she will soon.

I have you beat - I have a barnevelder that hatched 3/21 and she still hasn't laid an egg. With the shorter days, it can take longer for them to start up. I'm also still waiting on a 28 week old welsummer, 28 week old pure Ameraucana and a 24 week old cream legbar.

33 weeks 2 days, Still no egg. Happy Chooks I got 2 Wellies at the same time I got the EE in fact I thought I was getting 3 Wellies. That's what happens when the feed store mixes 9 different breeds (3 of which were chipmunk coloration) all in the same box, and they don't have anyone there working that can tell the difference. Anyways my 2 Wellies started laying back in Oct so I was figuring that my EE wouldn't be too far behind them. But its now been over 2 months since the laid their first egg and she is just taking her own sweet time about it.

Don't know what your coop is like or size or if chooks free range so none of this may apply - she may just be a slow starter.

Our EEs are the most creative hens we have. They have found the most out of the way places to lay and change it up when we find their current temporary laying choice. The funniest time was when I found one of them in an actual nesting box. She looked like a little kid with her hand stuck in the cookie jar. She laid her egg, hopped out without a sound and left the barn as fast as she could run.
D.gif

They have laid in a cement mixer (not currently working), an open bag of bedding, in a 10 foot loft, with the turkeys, in the tomato patch, in a window well, behind the fuel oil tank, in the pumpkin patch, and in our storage barn when DH leaves the doors open while cutting the lawn. A couple of the hens don't ever sing the egg song before or after laying, a couple do. They have access to 15 nesting boxes on three levels. But they treat us to an egg hunt every day. Some of last year's EE's offsprings started laying this summer and they are just as creative as their mamas.

Happy hunting. Hope you find something soon.
idunno.gif

She has got to be really close. My 9 month old barnevelder hasn't started laying yet, but I did get a first egg this morning from my Ameraucana - it was a really pretty green, but it's supposed to be blue.

Back
Top Bottom