32 DEAD CHICKENS AND COUNTING

MINDANAO DAVE

Songster
8 Years
Well folks, looks like my chicken raising days are over. I live in the Philippines and went out to feed the birds and found 2 dead,that was 4 days ago since then they continue to die. Been injecting them with Bactrid Eyrthromycin respirax in their water and can't save even one. They started out I noticed they just weren't moving like they normally did then came flem coming out of the beak and then death. Nothing I have done makes a difference. I only have about 20 left out of 60 some. I am thinking it could be the avian flu as my neighbors are also loosing chickens. Pretty sad week. I got my favorite chicken is in a box next to the bed and it is not looking good for her either. Just at a loss of what else I can do.

If it is avian influenza chances are you will lose everything. Any birds that don't die will have to be culled. It is highly contagious and spread through the wild bird population. Here in the UK we had a bad year last year and whole commercial flocks and colonies had to be culled. It was devastating. I see your in the Philippines so how it is dealt with may be different but I think the out come will be the same. Here is some advice from defra UK.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/avian-influenza-bird-flu-in-winter-2017-to-2018
There is also advice on biosecurity. Sorry for your loss.

So sorry for your predicament. :( Gah, it must be devastating!

Been injecting them with Bactrid Eyrthromycin respirax in their water.....
Injecting it into the bird..... or into the water?

Also there are no vets here that are capable of dealing with chickens close by to get a blood work up.
Without testing, it's impossible to know what you are dealing with and what to effectively treat it with.

Have no idea what resources you do have or how animal health is dealt with in your country. I hope you can find some kind of resolution.

Oh Dave, man! This is just awful! You've obviously been hit by one of the more deadly respiratory viruses. It's a given that even the remaining chickens are infected. If any manage to survive this, they will still carry the virus and can pass it on to any new chickens.

I know it sounds defeatist, but it would be wise to just cull the rest. (I hate that word.) You could try to find an agricultural lab that could do a necropsy on a couple of the dead chickens, but it will only confirm which virus it is.

Back
Top Bottom