3mth old ducks need flight feathers trimmed, no clue, need help!

kysilkies

Songster
10 Years
May 3, 2009
Elizabethtown, KY
We feel, for the safety of our ducks that they have their flight feathers cut but we've never seen or done it(I did watch a youtube video of a man trimming a turkey's), does any have a link to or can post pictures of where to trim and what feathers?...We think we know, but it's because we only think and don't know, we know we need to ask ;-)

Thanx in advance from us and our duckies!

They are Muscovies if that matters and don't mind handling(they're spoiled rotten)...

I just clipped my hen's wings last week! My first time too. Its really simple.

29m13yw.jpg

dwtieb.jpg

I just used a pair of scissors and cut straight across the flight feathers, and then cut all but three of the Long feathers.

Just curious, what's the reason for leaving the 3?...Thank you for the photo!

I read somewhere that feathers can bleed but couldn't find something that said how far was too far down them...

You will want to make sure you are not cutting into feathers that are still growing, or blood feathers since they are young.

giffy
-----------------

Once the feathers are fully formed they are adult feathers and dont have the blood vessels in them any longer. If you look at the quils, and they are blue or purple, they they are still bloody feathers. If They are white and plastic looking then the feathers are fully formed and are just like finger nails. The birds will feel nothing.

ANd I left the three because I just hated clipping her gorgeous wings, and people said to leave two to make it still look pretty but i just left the three . Basically I just left the long feathers so that when she folds her wings it still looks natural - instead of cutting all the feathers.

Quick tip...only clip one wing ....birds can learn to fly enough to go over a low fence if you clip both. By clipping only one side, it makes them be completely off balance.

That being said....Muscovies typically get fat and lazy..... what makes you think you need to clip their wings?

Back
Top Bottom