3rd Annual New Year's Day Hatch!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LarryPQ, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Good Mornin' NYD Hatchers! 3 days to set, 24 days to hatch and 2012!

I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.....

I am SO tired this morning. Lucky patients.

Wahoo! Still waiting for eggies in the mail.

2. NotAFarm

NotAFarm Embracing the New! Premium Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Illinois
    Quote:What BamaSilkies said!
    I had one Icelandic that layed a clutch, sat on them, raised five chicks and started laying when the chicks were 6 weeks old and then sat on the next clutch and hatched 11 and weaned those at 6 weeks. She molted and recently started back laying. The other one had a single chick and didn't wean it until I moved it in with some others in a growout pen at 8 weeks. Her second brood of 11 she weaned at 5.5 weeks and was molting so didn't start back right away but is now laying again.

But no hatching for me until Spring!!!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  3. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    MAHONRI--- As of this morning, you have a chickie!

...good thing I locked down last night, right? [​IMG]

4. AK Michelle

AK Michelle Bad Girl of the North

Mar 17, 2009
    Palmer, Alaska
    Quote:Yay! [​IMG]

5. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    I have some of Hot2Pots - Deb's beautiful eggs pipping this morning [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] So far two polish and I'm hoping Jim's beautiful Iowa Blues come today for the NYD hatch along [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

Quote:Welcome to the madness... these folks are broody!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

ALL: I jinxed myself with my smarty pants weather comments last night. This morning it is 40 degrees! Us (true) Floridians bundled up and complained about it all morning....

I received my first paid for eggs yesterday--- 6 Blue Laced Red Wyandotte and 6 Marans (forgot the words that go before Marans...) I cleaned them after reading several threads on washing vs not washing hatching eggs.

I'm trying to keep up reading these pages and looking forward to more eggs arriving. I have no EARTHLY IDEA where I'm going to put these chicks (and quail!) when they hatch.... [​IMG]
    I just built a new coop but then bought 2 young light brahma pullets, they're MEAN and my rooster attacks them, so for now they're in the new coop!

My husband (sorry, I can't write 'DH') is supportive but keeps asking me things like "So, where are those chicks going? Will they be in the house long? Shouldn't the new pullets go with the others? Why can't Football (loner Speckled Sussex) stay in one of the coops?"..... sorry.... I'm rambling now....

7. karimw

karimw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA
    Quote:Absolutely! You need rules... and which week to host... we have nothing for week 3 yet, would you like to be week 3?

I'll start a contest post now... and add Laree's end of hatch contests when she feels better.

OK I shall be week 3. I'm going to pirate a class from the Paint Horse and Appaloosa shows and go with "Most Colorful Rooster" it is entirely subjective of course [​IMG]

1. The picture must be a rooster in his natural plumage (no photoshop or dye job [​IMG] )
    2. The subject does not have to be yours, but the photo must have been taken by you.
    3. You may enter only 1 rooster but may include up to 3 pictures of the same bird in order show all his features.
    4. Post the picture(s) on this thread and send it to me in a PM
    5. The contest will run from December 25 - December 31.
    6. I will announce the winner on New Years Day and the winner will receive a 6 month GFM.

This is my first time doing this, so did I forget anything?

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Kathy, it may be because it's still early and my second cup of coffee has not taken effect, but I find it puzzling how you can take a picture of your camera in the box! How'd you DO that?

9. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

Quote:Kathy, it may be because it's still early and my second cup of coffee has not taken effect, but I find it puzzling how you can take a picture of your camera in the box! How'd you DO that?

Amazing skills.... [​IMG]

I'm thinking she has another camera though. [​IMG]

10. GreenGoddess

GreenGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    Quote:I wish someone would tell my "Koby" that... She is Ameraucana x Dark Brahma Bantam and she went broody on me around June... I gave her eggs, she hatched them out and once they were fully feathered, I moved her back in with the flock.. She STILL has not laid another egg!! She is one I hatched out for the NYD hatch last year....

Of course, take into consideration that NONE of my girls are laying and the roos aren't mating.. They are ending a molt and this is pretty typical for my flock to stop laying in September and start back in mid-late December... But, I figured she would have given me at least a FEW eggs between August and September... Nope! Not one!

Goddess [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by