Oct 3, 2020
Bethel, NY
I just bought these adorable four silkies from a local breeder that are about 4 1/2 months. She thinks they are all hens, but wasn't positive about the white paint or black/grey ones. As you can see they are all imperfect, which is why she was selling them, the buff is about a third the size of the others... its adorable!! I uploaded two videos... Hopefully you can help me! I am hoping they are mostly hens, but won't be too upset with a rooster.

Also, they are in a dog crate for peaceful integration.

Thanks!

I just bought these adorable four silkies from a local breeder that are about 4 1/2 months. She thinks they are all hens, but wasn't positive about the white paint or black/grey ones.
Individual photos of combs and wattles.. and or.. side standing view.. to get a better opinion.. I also question the larger blackish looking but probably actually blue one. In the moving videos though.. other than some uneven feather growth and maybe not being show-able varieties that black tailed one..

Are they actually all from the same hatch date or is there any slight variation of a week or more between any of them?

All though in the US there is only one standard size for Silkies which calls them bantam.. you can see for yourself the immense size difference between lines.. In the UK.. they have bantam and large fowl Silkies.. with their LF being around 3 ish pounds I think and the bantams closer 1.5 (don't quote me on exact #). Although I ate/eat my extra boys and the larger one are less effort to put on the table also maybe able to raise more babies in a single go.. as a fancier.. I far prefer the smaller Silkies if I'm breeding for bantams. All other bantam breed varieties I've had contact with are more true to the tiny size folks think of when they think "bantam",.. like how the buff is half the size.

Individual photos of combs and wattles.. and or.. side standing view.. to get a better opinion.. I also question the larger blackish looking but probably actually blue one. In the moving videos though.. other than some uneven feather growth and maybe not being show-able varieties that black tailed one..

Are they actually all from the same hatch date or is there any slight variation of a week or more between any of them?

All though in the US there is only one standard size for Silkies which calls them bantam.. you can see for yourself the immense size difference between lines.. In the UK.. they have bantam and large fowl Silkies.. with their LF being around 3 ish pounds I think and the bantams closer 1.5 (don't quote me on exact #). Although I ate/eat my extra boys and the larger one are less effort to put on the table also maybe able to raise more babies in a single go.. as a fancier.. I far prefer the smaller Silkies if I'm breeding for bantams. All other bantam breed varieties I've had contact with are more true to the tiny size folks think of when they think "bantam",.. like how the buff is half the size.
Yeah, I don’t know if they are from the same hatch. The one that is smaller is VERY small, she’s either an extreme runt or has a birth defect. They rest are normal bantam size. Do you have any ideas on the genders? I figured the movement and video footage would help easily assess the birds.

I just bought these adorable four silkies from a local breeder that are about 4 1/2 months. She thinks they are all hens, but wasn't positive about the white paint or black/grey ones. As you can see they are all imperfect, which is why she was selling them, the buff is about a third the size of the others... its adorable!! I uploaded two videos... Hopefully you can help me! I am hoping they are mostly hens, but won't be too upset with a rooster.

Also, they are in a dog crate for peaceful integration.

Thanks!

They are so stinking cute! 🥰 From what I can tell in your videos the only one that looks to be possibly a cockerel is the darker gray/black one. Agree individual photos showing profiles and head on showing combs would be the best way. At this age I would expect cockerels to be crowing or close to it. They actually all look pretty good standard wise.😊

They are so stinking cute! 🥰 From what I can tell in your videos the only one that looks to be possibly a cockerel is the darker gray/black one. Agree individual photos showing profiles and head on showing combs would be the best way. At this age I would expect cockerels to be crowing or close to it. They actually all look pretty good standard wise.😊
What great news!! I hope you’re correct! I know, aren’t they adorable. I love that they are a motley band of rejects. I kind of agree with you assessment. My only reservation is the white/ paint one possibly being a cockerel. I’ve only had them for a day, but I haven’t hear any of them crow yet. I will try to take better photos.

Okay! I have photos for you guys. Let me know what you think! Thankfully they are all different colors so they are very easy to tell apart.

IMG_8383.jpeg
IMG_8385.jpeg

IMG_8392.jpeg
IMG_8401.jpeg
IMG_8408.jpeg
IMG_8414.jpeg
IMG_8417.jpeg
IMG_8424.jpeg
IMG_8426.jpeg
IMG_8407.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom