I don't know much about silkie maturation speed, but my older hard feathered girls started getting their big girl voices by 3 months.... are you sure they are 4-5months old? I hear chirping, lol.
Haha I know!! They do kind of chirp?! They are definitely full grown and around 5 months. They are slightly bigger than my 4 month olds and bigger than my small 6 month bantam pullet (pictured in profile picture).

I have been wondering about silkie voices, my expensive pullet from a high end show breeder actually murmurs (again, the one in my profile pic). I have never heard anything like it before! She goes "mur-mur mur-mur mur-mur." I was kind of hoping these would do the same and that it was a trait of true purebred bearded silkies... but not yet at least.

Honestly, they all look female. :)
Keep an eye on the dark grey one.
They are all so pretty!
I really hope you're right. I really think the black is a cockerel, which is fine, I can keep them. I just am hoping the white paint is a pullet! I really wanted to add two beautiful pullets to my flock.

hmmmm these guys are tricky!!

I'd say the white is a cockerel, but the buff and black could end up with streamers soon, not sure on those. The cuckoo is a pullet.
That is a fair assessment and my worst case scenario. I am confident the cuckoo is a pullet and pretty sure the black is a cockerel. I don't care so much about the buff as he/she is unlikely to produce eggs anyways. I am really holding out hope that the white is a pullet! I will happily keep all the roosters, but I just really wanted to add two beautiful pullets to my flock...

I think I'm seeing a slight crossbeak on the buff--or is it just the angle of the photo? It looks like the tip of the upper beak is to the right (bird's left) of the tip on the lower beak.
Possibly, but I think his whole beak is crooked as opposed to crossed. I’ll have to look closely tomorrow, but I definitely see him eat food, grass and treats all day long. Is there a serious issue I need to look out for?

That is a fair assessment and my worst case scenario. I am confident the cuckoo is a pullet and pretty sure the black is a cockerel. I don't care so much about the buff as he/she is unlikely to produce eggs anyways. I am really holding out hope that the white is a pullet! I will happily keep all the roosters, but I just really wanted to add two beautiful pullets to my flock...
I'm thinking white cockerel and black cockerel too... Time will tell, gotta have patience with Silkies...:barnie
They are gorgeous little fluffballs! :love

Back
Top Bottom