Possibly, but I think his whole beak is crooked as opposed to crossed. I’ll have to look closely tomorrow, but I definitely see him eat food, grass and treats all day long. Is there a serious issue I need to look out for?

If he's eating fine, then it's not a problem right now.
Given his current age, I think there's a good chance he will continue to be fine.

Just look on occasion, to make sure he's still able to eat, and that the beak is not getting too long. If it does start getting too long, the tip can be trimmed just like toenails can be trimmed.

Severe crossbeak can make a chicken unable to eat, and then the chicken doesn't grow right and isn't healthy. Also the beak doesn't wear down right, so it gets too long, and that makes the problem worse. Eventually, either the chicken starves to death, or the owner helps by providing special meals. But as long as your bird is eating fine, this does not apply to him.

She goes "mur-mur mur-mur mur-mur." I was kind of hoping these would do the same and that it was a trait of true purebred bearded silkies... but not yet at least.

ahhh that's so cute! I can't wait for mine to find their voices. I have a hunch that runt will forever be chirping though.

by the way, I didn't mean to stalk you, but I noticed that you're only 40min north of me (I'm in Mt Hope) - who did you buy your silkies from?

ahhh that's so cute! I can't wait for mine to find their voices. I have a hunch that runt will forever be chirping though.

by the way, I didn't mean to stalk you, but I noticed that you're only 40min north of me (I'm in Mt Hope) - who did you buy your silkies from?
Yes! Its adorable!

I raised 3 from day old chicks from a hatchery in NJ, one from a craigslist ad in MA (the fancy show quality partridge pullet... I got VERY lucky) and then four adorable imperfect rejects from a breeder nearby in PA that I picked up this week.

Its looking more and more that I only have 4 pullets and now 4 roosters (maybe even 3 pullets and 5 roosters)... so I would REALLY like two more pullets or hens, but as you can imagine its truly IMPOSSIBLE. The ones I got from Craigslist were a total fluke after looking everyday for weeks.

Back
Top Bottom