4/5 Week old polish head is now limp/crooked

OlePainless

In the Brooder
Mar 5, 2018
Newnan, Ga
I have a polish in my brooder who was doing just fine. Went out today to check on them and chain their water and her neck looks like its broke. I picked her up and took her to the waterer and she drank and staighten out her head and neck to do so, but when i put her down she looks up from the side as though she cannot lift or turn her head.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 20180312_103659.jpg
    20180312_103659.jpg
    324.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20180312_103711.jpg
    20180312_103711.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20180312_103719.jpg
    20180312_103719.jpg
    445.1 KB · Views: 5
I can't swear that this is what is going on with your Polish, but I had a lot of trouble with young Polish when I had them. Polish have vaulted skulls, and that leaves them prone to brain injuries. If another bird pecks them on the top of the head, it can cause neurological symptoms like you are seeing. Some of mine recovered, some didn't. Hopefully someone who has helpful advice will respond.

Yeah, i remember last year i had one that was about 3 months old just out of the blue started falling over and acting weird. It eventually died but im seeing some of the same neurological problems.

That is called wry neck (torticolis, encephalomacia, crook neck.) It is a neurological symptom that is seen in vitamin deficiencies (vitamin B1 thiamine, vitamin E, selenium,) in head injuries, in certain diseases as a result of brain inflammation, and is hereditary in some chickens. Chopped liver, egg an tuna are good in small amount, or give chick vitamins plus a little egg for selenium. Help her eat and drink often until she is getting enough. Good luck.

That is called wry neck (torticolis, encephalomacia, crook neck.) It is a neurological symptom that is seen in vitamin deficiencies (vitamin B1 thiamine, vitamin E, selenium,) in head injuries, in certain diseases as a result of brain inflammation, and is hereditary in some chickens. Chopped liver, egg an tuna are good in small amount, or give chick vitamins plus a little egg for selenium. Help her eat and drink often until she is getting enough. Good luck.
I'm hoping they are good on vitamins - I add them to their water.

Back
Top Bottom