4 Americaunas 2 weeks old

DeeAnn5

Songster
10 Years
Sep 2, 2013
NW Missouri
Greetings. Impulse buy of 4 Americaunas at the feed store to one day join my 3 hens in Chicken tractor/garden area. My chicks are now 2 weeks old. I have used a red chicken drop light in their brooder, they are doing great. I am now putting them outside in a predator-proof pen during the day, as our daytime temps in Missouri have been about 95 F. Today is only 83 degrees F but they can get in the sun and I'm not that worried about them staying warm enough. Should I be?
I put them out this morning when it was only 76 degrees. That's too cold, right?
Hopefully in a few weeks they can join the hens...

DeAnn

Greetings. Impulse buy of 4 Americaunas at the feed store to one day join my 3 hens in Chicken tractor/garden area. My chicks are now 2 weeks old. I have used a red chicken drop light in their brooder, they are doing great. I am now putting them outside in a predator-proof pen during the day, as our daytime temps in Missouri have been about 95 F. Today is only 83 degrees F but they can get in the sun and I'm not that worried about them staying warm enough. Should I be?
I put them out this morning when it was only 76 degrees. That's too cold, right?
Hopefully in a few weeks they can join the hens...

DeAnn
They say you should drop 5 degrees every week so by 2 weeks they should be under 90 degrees heat, however this is a very rough guide and you can certainly keep chicks happy with less heat. There are a few brooder boxes I've seen on this site successfully raise chicks from birth at around 75 degrees.

Personally I wouldn't worry to much, just pay attention to them and look for the taletell signs that they're too hot or cold. Too hot and they'll run away from the heat source, too cold and they'll try hiding under each other usually in a corner in a bundle.

They say you should drop 5 degrees every week so by 2 weeks they should be under 90 degrees heat, however this is a very rough guide and you can certainly keep chicks happy with less heat. There are a few brooder boxes I've seen on this site successfully raise chicks from birth at around 75 degrees.

Personally I wouldn't worry to much, just pay attention to them and look for the taletell signs that they're too hot or cold. Too hot and they'll run away from the heat source, too cold and they'll try hiding under each other usually in a corner in a bundle.
Ok thanks! They seem healthy and active

Your temperatures should be fine as long as you keep an eye on them while they're out to ensure they don't need heat OR relief from heat. Chicks can't regulate their temperatures well so they can get chilled or overheat.

Back
Top Bottom