4 day old baby duck.

brittanys22

Songster
May 17, 2019
I just purchased 2 White crested baby ducklings this past week. They are now 4 days old & we’re also shipped to our local post office… of course we picked them up got them under some heat source, food/water and a bowl to swim in :)

1 is doing very well. She’s walking all around, swimming but I haven’t notice them eating. I feed all duck feed from tractor supply. I thought maybe they couldn’t eat those pellets so I put some water in it and they still have zero interest in it (that I know of)

Well, 1 of my baby ducks doesn’t look to good, her eyes aren’t as opened as the other one and when she walks she falls over but jumps right back up. This morning she seems worse.. but she still swims in her bowl. I added electrolytes but that seems to not help..

I pray she makes it 😩

Attachments

• IMG_0124.jpeg
    IMG_0124.jpeg
    246.5 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0125.jpeg
    IMG_0125.jpeg
    424.9 KB · Views: 9
i think youre right the pellets are hard to eat
but why they dont like the mash idk

try dipping their bills into the feed so they know what it is and where it is

i would try feeding chick stater crumbles NON medicated
and nutriional yeast (add 1 Tbsp per cup of feed)

Is her neck leaning a little to one side because i wonder if its the start of 'wry neck' if it is she needs vitamin e and selenium

if she has not eaten she needs to eat you can try warming up an egg yolk and add a little honey to it see if she will eat some
if you try to put in her mouth with a dropper be very careful not to choke her just put a tiny drop at a time and let her swallow it

let me add @Luv Ducks @New duck mommy 2021 @BelovedBirds

I hope that you were able to get it non medicated chick starter as they will usually eat that. You can add niacin to it since it does not have any. I never let mine swim that early but I know others do. I am afraid they will get chilled and not do as well. I hope that it is doing better today. Keep us posted and good luck with this little one. Crested ducks can have neurological problems so I hope that yours are alright.

Good evening everyone, thank you so so much for y’all’s advice. Of course I stepped into action after posting this post and went to Tractor Supply and got some vitamins, electrolytes and some duck crumble food. They still didn’t eat so I added some water to it and they ate so so good & still eating without adding water to the crumble.

The one has perked up so so good. She’s not falling over when she walks anymore and seems to be enjoying herself.

I have a brooder heater in there area so after they swim they go and get under it :) we also added a water bowl (small) next to there food so they love to make there own mush.

Thank you all so much for the advice.
They are doing great 😊

i think youre right the pellets are hard to eat
but why they dont like the mash idk

try dipping their bills into the feed so they know what it is and where it is

i would try feeding chick stater crumbles NON medicated
and nutriional yeast (add 1 Tbsp per cup of feed)

Is her neck leaning a little to one side because i wonder if its the start of 'wry neck' if it is she needs vitamin e and selenium

if she has not eaten she needs to eat you can try warming up an egg yolk and add a little honey to it see if she will eat some
if you try to put in her mouth with a dropper be very careful not to choke her just put a tiny drop at a time and let her swallow it

let me add @Luv Ducks @New duck mommy 2021 @BelovedBirds
Sorry I could not reply any sooner. I am back at work now and not able to get on here as much as I was all summer.

Back
Top Bottom