4 ducklings throughing head back, help!!!

Quote:
Just an idea.. but i think they may have choked on their food if they didnt have any water...
Sorry, Shay..
sad.png
hugs.gif

they did not have any food at that time. it was right after they drank and spilled the whole bowl of water.
but thank you.

oooh.. very weird then! I hope someone can tell you what happend!!!!!

It was the water. Most often it will happen if they had access to food without water, but not always. It is absolutely essential to not let baby waterfowl run out of water. If they ever do, give them water in 10-15 minute increments alternating back and forth (water-no water-water-no water) for a few hours until they are rehydrated. I would be 99% sure that is what happened, especially it is was sudden death with no other symptoms.

Quote:
I feed all my birds game feed and have never had an issue with Niacin B dificinecy.
feeding chicks medicated chick starter has been killing a lot of chicks this year.
the issue with medicated feeds is the fact that hte dosage is not as controled as it should be, some bags get too much some bags get too little.
as for ducks never feed medicated chick starter to them it will indeed kill them, I have experienced this first hand when 12 week old ducklings found a feeder of starter, and before you ask , yes there are always 3 full water's in each coop.
If medicated chick starter was safe for water fowl it would clearly state it on the bag and there would be very little need for Game starter IMO.
feeding chicks game crumbles is one thing feeding ducks chick starter is a whole different ball game.

Most medicated feed is safe for ducklings in this day and age. Period. Regardless of what you may believe, gypsy. Even Holderread himself was writing literally 20-25 YEARS ago that the meds like Amrpol that are now used in feeds are safe for ducklings. I would think that in my couple decades of breeding waterfowl, I would have some idea of what I am talking about. I also said that Niacin/B-deficiency is usually not an issue with gamebird feed. Did you somehow miss that? This thread is a perfect example of something I just said in another one. LOL.

Back
Top Bottom