4-H-er thread!

Pics
Do any of you guys do a "club bird"? I thought it would be a nice to suggest this idea for those who do not have it.

What is a club bird? It sounds like an interesting idea?

Every member does a report to the club on a certain breed of their choosing. The club then votes on which bird sounds the most appealing. This becomes the club bird for the year. Then the members order those birds, all from the same place, and raise them up. Then at the fair, there is a separate class for the best club bird spring pullet.

Just an interesting idea if some other 4H clubs want to give it a try.

Last edited:
Every member does a report to the club on a certain breed of their choosing. The club then votes on which bird sounds the most appealing. This becomes the club bird for the year. Then the members order those birds, all from the same place, and raise them up. Then at the fair, there is a separate class for the best club bird spring pullet.

thats super cool! I might have to bring that up!

Do any of you guys do a "club bird"? I thought it would be a nice to suggest this idea for those who do not have it. 

Never heard of it, but it sounds really fun!

I may have to bring up that idea to the 4-h coubcil

It's a really cool idea, I think. Whoever came up with it is on to something. Especially if they all are hatched at the same time and come from the same genetics. It shows how well you have cared for and conditioned the bird. Anyone can buy a bird with superior genetics and with mediocre care crush a poorly bred bird. 4H is largely about conditioning and care, so why not let everyone start out with the same birds and then let the conditioning set the birds apart?

It's a really cool idea, I think. Whoever came up with it is on to something. Especially if they all are hatched at the same time and come from the same genetics. It shows how well you have cared for and conditioned the bird. Anyone can buy a bird with superior genetics and with mediocre care crush a poorly bred bird. 4H is largely about conditioning and care, so why not let everyone start out with the same birds and then let the conditioning set the birds apart?

I'm going to bring it up to another family in my group. I think it would be really fun!

Back
Top Bottom