4-H questions and help......

Quote:
Sorry to upset you with my post...I was not trying to do that to anyone...

We have been going to the meetings. We have been getting information from the COUNTY FOR THE COUNTY FAIR....We have never gotten anything reguarding our local fair...
The club itself does seem to be good. As in the public activities and projects that the kids do..But when it comes to trying to help a first time 4-H member out everything was under lock and key....
This mind everyone was NOT only from the club my kids belong to, but other local 4-H groups too...
I guess I am just going to chalk it up as a learning exsperience. We had done our registration weeks ago as to what projects our kids were bringing to the fair~~animals and arts and crafts....
I have never heard of a fair book until this site...Not one other person has told me there is such a thing even. I might be a little blinded by all this, as I was never in 4-H. So everything is all so very new to me as well and my husband and our kids....

Thank you to everyone who has helped us out on this site though. I am going to keep all the information and then we will have a better idea for next year...

Shawna
(I will start another topic to let everyone know how our girls did)....Thanks again...

Oh I wasn't upset like that! Just that 4-H was the best thing that ever happened to me, and I think it should be for every child that wants to be involved in it. I'm sure we'll all be excited to hear how the fair goes for you kids!
smile.png

It is similar here. The people that do the supervising of the clubs for 4-H do it nothing like I grew up with. they don't even have 4-H clubs in school! Everything is a big secret and most people are not nice at all. I wanted to start a chicken club and was told I needed 2 adults and 5 kids. The kids are not the trouble. They won't let me simply do it and I can't find a 2nd adult interested in chickens and willing to rangle kids.
sad.png

I guess there is always a bit of that "show mom" stuff that goes on. My 4-H leader was a hard lady-a true farmer. She would not have allowed people to stay in the club if they did help everyone out. It's too bad that someone with your knowledge, Miss P, can't even get a club going. I've noticed that the fair where I live now is a far cry from the county I used to show in. I guess I should just feel lucky that I had such an amazing club, leaders, co-members, and fair.

We just got our son, and the neighbor girl into 4H (we have been to about 3 meetings)
So far so good......but I am overwhelmed with what all we need to know. Our group learers are great and very helpful...but I know from what I experianced when I was trying to get into the 4H that it can put people off. Someone went as far as to tell us at first our kids couldnt be in 4H cuz our chickens where "hatchery chicks". Like that was a bad word, and that our chickens arent good enough. But I called around and we have a great group. We got into 4H to late this year so the kids have to enter in the fairs in open class...but at least they are involved and learning.

Good luck...and just keep asking questions till ya get answers!

Hey if anyone wants to join a good group come to Pennsylvania
tongue.png
the club members actually help. the club leaders actually teach, and the 4-h corrdinators actually help when needed. We actually just got a 4-h sign to help promote 4-h in our county. They made like 7 or 8 of them i think and put them around the county and since we were the only group in the area we got a sign.

Local Fair?? County Fair??

Normally the local fair is the county fair and the next higher level is the state fair.

Could that be the problem? You were told that llamas can be shown by the county extension agent and he was thinking the county fair?

Another thing to keep in mind that there might be a reason why llamas aren't being shown. Perhaps there weren't enough children involved with the project or they weren't able to find a judge. These people are over a bunch of volunteers. They can't do anything and maybe it is all they can do to find people to judge the basics and the exotics have to fall to the wayside.

In our area, there are mostly single family 4H groups. Not clubs. It seems strange to me, having come from a strong 4H community in northern CA where I taught 4H Dairy Goats, Rabbits and Sewing. As the others stated, the main thing that was taught at each meeting was aimed towards fair competition. Part of 4H is showmanship - how to hold and display the animal.

If it is as bad as you say, I'd complain. 4H is a state sponsored organization, a part of extension. The county leaders are paid by the state to do their job. Start by complaining to the extension agent. They might not know that their volunteer leaders are useless. If, as you suggest, all of the local leaders are in it for themselves and their children, and discourage competition, they've only heard praises from those involved. If you don't learn more from the extension agent, contact your state's 4H office.

From now on, remember to go to your state's extension site (normally found on the state university site) and find the 4H section. Normally they will have pdf files of the manuals for each project. Google whatever project your child is doing and see what other states talk about.

Shawna can you contact Larry LeGesse? I know there are 2 more fairs that you could take them to. One is in Bloomer. He would know about it he judged it last year. If not PM me and I can give you a name and number of a few people who will for sure get you the information you need.

Hows Albert?

Kris
smile.png

Your kids are also welcome to take them to the show in October in Menomonie, there is a big youth section. Let me know and I will get them on the mailing list.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom