4 Month old Pekin, Really sick, Swollen leg

He does not want to be in there, he fights his way out, should we keep him in there anyways? We put 2 cups of Epsom salt in there to help his feet, and for 10 minute intervals.

You might do better with compresses. Soak clean cloth in Epsom salt water and wrap the feet and hold him for several minutes at a time.

You might also do better with a more shallow container - one that is about as deep as his legs.

@Amiga
@casportpony

I think the only option we have right now is to give him a flush as suggested here

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700526/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal#post_9508213

He's not getting better and it seems like he does have some kind of toxin or something inside of him that's causing him to be so sick, we've given him Tetra, and he doesn't seem to help. someone in the comments of that thread said that his duck got better from an Epsom Salt flush. We might try that.

I am not there with you, to see the duck. I don't feel a flush is what I would do. If the antibiotic you are using doesn't help, I would switch antibiotics.

I am not there with you, to see the duck.  I don't feel a flush is what I would do.  If the antibiotic you are using doesn't help, I would switch antibiotics.

X2. I agree. Tetracylines aren't usually very effective. Maybe you should think about surrendering him to an avian vet.... That's what I did once with a duck that rescued from a feed store. Caring for it was beyond my abilities.

-Kathy

@Amiga @casportpony

So we ended up not giving him the flush yet, we waited a couple more days to see if the Tetra helped, and we'll wait 1 more day before giving him the Epsom Salt flush.

@Amiga So it looks like he is trying to walk again, he uses his wings and beak and tries to walk around, but ends up crawling. His poop is also pure white?

Back
Top Bottom