4 Month old Pekin, Really sick, Swollen leg

@gunndogs So we'll stop giving him medication, we're located in southern New Mexico, and as you probably know, vet is extremely expensive and don't have the money right now, as much as we want to take him, we just can't.

So what you're suggesting is that he has niacin deficiency? What exact foods would you recommend? He's been inside for the past week on a soft padding resting, we occasionally take him out to the pond so he can wash himself and maybe try to swim, but he immediately comes back to the shore. I just noticed that he was breathing hard, is his nostrils clogged? He is NOT getting better at all.
A niacin deficiency doesn't cause green poop. If he's still pooping green, and eating, he probably has a bacterial infection. @ethanj357
go get some crumbles for him and stop feeding him just corn.

-Kathy

I haven't read all the posts, but wanted to be sure you are supplementing his niacin with brewer's yeast. Growing ducklings need WAY more niacin than feed can provide. Stop any meds, especially the Aleve! Aleve can not be given to animals! He doesn't need antibiotics for a niacin deficiency. You can get brewer's yeast tablets at TSC, or any pet store. Put it in both his food and water. Follow label instructions for dosing. He needs veggies; kale, tomatoes, etc. Add Savachick to his water for electrolytes. Try to get him to eat some plain yogurt to combat the effects of the antibiotics. Let him float in the tub. The early possible bumblefoot I saw will resolve once you get him moving normally again. Be sure to provide soft padding at all times.
@gunndogs , Welcome to BYC!

You might want to start at the beginning and read all the posts because you will see that there could be other issues with this duckling.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Is he getting time in a clean lukewarm tub of water, no soap, once or twice a day?

Good quality duck or poultry feed

B complex vitamins

Fresh water with food 24/7

Last edited:
@casportpony Yes we do have a Tractor Supply, we'll look into getting him that Flock Raiser

@Amiga You want us to to put him in a warm bath with soap?

Thank you all for your help

@Amiga I'll put him in a little plastic tub with lukewarm water, we've been adding Epsom salt as described on the package.

Back
Top Bottom