4 new babies to the 9 others

MrsWoods

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 8, 2010
"Hot-lanta", Texas
so my DH went and bought 4 Ameraucana chicks to add to the other 9 babies he bought monday or tuesday whatever day it was. One though is acting soooooooo pitiful. we think she may be a gonner. they are only 2 days old but she wont eat or drink and I havent seen her poop. What do we need to do?

Try giving her water. A drop on your finger. Some times you have to teach them to drink. If she responds to the drop on your finger,,, give a few more. After a while show her how to drink out of the waterer br gently putting her beak into the water. Does that make since?? I was told that by BYCers, It works. Good Luck
fl.gif

Yup. I had a sick chick that wound up with cocci. Once I realized she had it she had stopped eating and drinking. I gave her sulmit in her water, but she wasn't drinking it so I put some in an eye dropper and dropped some on her beak. Don't squirt it down their throat because they can drown like this. Don't give her meds either unless she shoes signs of cocci which would be bloody poo. Just see if you can get her to drink first with any eye dropper like I described then try dipping her beak in the water. It might take some persistance, but it sure worked out in the end for my little EE. Good luck!

no luck....have gone out there every hour or so to try giving her sugar water(don't remember where i read to do that)with a syringe. DH said that the feed store would replace her if she doesnt make it. He also said that the feedstore told him that they have had a big problem with the chicks that they have gotten the past few weeks dying at the store at just a day old....sound to me like there's something going on with the company they order from because half of their chicks have either been dead upon arrival or died at the store the first 2 days that they have ordered the past 2 weeks

well its not the feedstore that is hatching them its a company they order from..... but the chick did not make it last night and we have another acting sickly today that seemed okay yesterday....The feedstore did however replace the one that died last night...

Back
Top Bottom