4 new baby chicks!

Meryl 'peep

In the Brooder
Sep 30, 2017
San Francisco, CA
Went into the feed store and left with an unplanned four chicks! :oops: Two Cuckoo Marans, one Ameraucana, and one Blue Wyandotte.

2017-11-12 03.48.56 1.jpg

This will be my first time raising chicks! I got my first 3 girls when they were already laying. So far, so good... but I hope that I'm doing things right by them.

I just switched out the 250 watt heat lamp I was using to the Brinsea 20 chick brooder. When I first put it in, they were a bit wary of it and wouldn't go under it at the lowest level. I brought it up to the second peg and they go under it, but I'm afraid it's too high. Anyone have recommendations for what level to start the Brinsea at?

No idea what level, as I've never had a Brinsea, but the heat for the first week should be between ninety and ninety-five degrees. Use a thermometer, and make sure that the feed and water is in the cooler part of the pen. They should be able to escape the heat as well as bask in it--think chicks running in and out from under their mother.

Nice on the blue Wyandotte, by the way. Laced or full-colored?

And your Ameracauna is almost certainly an Easter Egger by any other name.

Yes, we THOUGHT we got 2 Ameraucaunas from a feed store, but they turned out to be an Easter egger. But we are actually happier to have Easter Eggert for their fun egg colors

I never follow any real temp guidelines ...If the Chicks are happily going under and sleeping good they are fine...When they are up and running around they should be happily peeping, eating and Drinking..If they stay huddled and peep loudly they are cold..Keep an eye on their Butts for pasty butt...
Congrats...Cute little Chicks....

Welcome! Very cute chicks, and that is an Easter Egger rather than an Ameraucana. She should be a much better egg layer! Here in Michigan, we won't be doing chicks until spring. Love seeing yours! Mary

If they are resting comfortably underneath, it's fine. If you see them piling up on each other trying to get closer, you'd need to lower it. In a warm room, they may not need to touch the plate to get enough heat so let them tell you what's enough.

If you notice a significant difference in growth rate, you might try angling the plate so it's lower on one side than the other.

When I first put it in, they were a bit wary of it and wouldn't go under it at the lowest level. I brought it up to the second peg and they go under it, but I'm afraid it's too high. Anyone have recommendations for what level to start the Brinsea at?
Probably too late for this info, but, after they are used to lower it down again they should be OK.

Checking temps with a thermometer won't work with a plate, have to go by behavior.

Observe your chicks closely while they are warming themselves under the heat plate. If you see them stretching and contorting themselves to make contact with the heating surface, then you'll know you need to lower it. If they look comfortable and aren't contorting themselves to get a good transfer of heat, then you will know it's just right.

Another thing.....plate should be at angle, higher in front and lower in back.
That way they can 'custom fit' their contact height.

Back
Top Bottom