4 Rhode I Hybrids vs 2 New Bluebells

BlueberryLady

Hatching
Aug 5, 2022
So I've 4 Rhode Island Hybrids, about 2 years old. Went and bought 2 Bluebells pullets which are full size and same size as RIR. I have had the Bluebells in a separate all mesh run and coop (small) alongside the established flock coop and run for 3 weeks. The RIR free range, and also have a large coop and run. They've seen and been up close to the new Bluebells for weeks. I've twice let out the Bluebells and the RIR immediately run to them and pulverise them.....the Bluebells are a very placid hen. I have a huge free range area for them all, but as soon as I let out the newbies, and all 4 RIR will grab one of them and attack her, all 4 jumped on one of them today and attacked her...she just crouched down and took it till I managed to shoo them away. I put the 2 Bluebells back in their own run. I've read up so much on introducing them...and not sure what to do now. I was hoping for a mixed flock but thinking perhaps time to give away the bluebells and rehome. I think if I let them be all together the RIR would kill one of them...They are right biatches:)) I know there is a pecking order to be established but all 4 jumping on one and not letting up till I come? Am I over reacting? Love some feedback, tysm.

Try this, it is a little monkeying around but if you have enough space it should work.
  • let the reds out to free range, and put the Blues in the main run/coop alone.
  • this allows the Blues to get familiar with the new setup without being chased and attacked. They begin to get some territorial rights to the coop/run.
  • Let the reds in close to dark, put the blues back where you had them
  • Repeat
  • Now, sort your reds, walk out away from them and throw out a treat - who gets there first, the two in the middle and the last one.
  • Next day, take one of the middle birds, and let the rest out to free range, put the blues in with the single red into the main coop and run. Now, there may be a scuffle, sit down there with a squirt gun, but for the most part let them work it out, it is 2 to 1, but in the blues favor.
  • If this bird is truly wicked, then try a different one.
  • That night - leave the red & blue in the main coop, and the hooligan reds wherever you had the blues
  • Rinse repeat
  • Add the second red to the red and blue trio - again probably a dust up, but should not be terrible - use a squirt gun if needed. A blast from nowhere kind of settles things down without humans being there so to speak.
  • After a couple of days, let everyone out to free range and return to the coop.
  • If you still have a wicked one, keep them in the bluebell place for a week.
A lot of dinking around, but it should work. What you have is 4 against 2, and more aggressive birds out number the timid birds and they are in their territory. If you watch close usually what happens is one starts the attack and the others follow, if you can break that, it will work.

Pin less peepers can really help get over a hump like this in a smaller flock if you want to try them or if the above don't work.
https://www.amazon.com/DSSPORT-Pheasant-Blinders-Spectacles-Anti-Pecking/dp/B08DTZBVDX

Mrs K

Try this, it is a little monkeying around but if you have enough space it should work.
  • let the reds out to free range, and put the Blues in the main run/coop alone.
  • this allows the Blues to get familiar with the new setup without being chased and attacked. They begin to get some territorial rights to the coop/run.
  • Let the reds in close to dark, put the blues back where you had them
  • Repeat
  • Now, sort your reds, walk out away from them and throw out a treat - who gets there first, the two in the middle and the last one.
  • Next day, take one of the middle birds, and let the rest out to free range, put the blues in with the single red into the main coop and run. Now, there may be a scuffle, sit down there with a squirt gun, but for the most part let them work it out, it is 2 to 1, but in the blues favor.
  • If this bird is truly wicked, then try a different one.
  • That night - leave the red & blue in the main coop, and the hooligan reds wherever you had the blues
  • Rinse repeat
  • Add the second red to the red and blue trio - again probably a dust up, but should not be terrible - use a squirt gun if needed. A blast from nowhere kind of settles things down without humans being there so to speak.
  • After a couple of days, let everyone out to free range and return to the coop.
  • If you still have a wicked one, keep them in the bluebell place for a week.
A lot of dinking around, but it should work. What you have is 4 against 2, and more aggressive birds out number the timid birds and they are in their territory. If you watch close usually what happens is one starts the attack and the others follow, if you can break that, it will work.

Pin less peepers can really help get over a hump like this in a smaller flock if you want to try them or if the above don't work.
https://www.amazon.com/DSSPORT-Pheasant-Blinders-Spectacles-Anti-Pecking/dp/B08DTZBVDX

Mrs K
Mrs K,

Thank you so much for such a genius idea!! It is just the answer I needed. I'm off to buy a squirt gun tomo and settle down to a weekend of your instructions. Makes good sense. I've a fair idea of the RIR pecking order but will watch who is first to treats....and pull out one of the middle ones and put them in the main coop with the Blues. Will follow your further instructions. Thanks so much for taking the time to write all those instructions. I will update in a few days.

Back
Top Bottom