4 week old chick limping

SilkieAddict10

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2023
Hello. My four week old black australorp chick is limping. It isn't very bad, but I want to make sure that it doesn't get worse and I don't know what to do to help her. I didn't notice her limping yesterday, but she could have been. I know that this is a possible symptom of mareks which I am really worried about because I had a lot of trouble with mareks a few years ago. Any advice or ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Can you get a video of her? Upload to youtube and provide a link.

Photos of her, the legs/feet/joints (bottom of feet) would be good.

How is she housed?

Symptoms of Marek's disease is usually seen at around 12wks or older, but it's possible to be seen at 4wks.
I wouldn't necessarily jump to Marek's as the cause of limping in such a young bird unless she gets worse.

Get her started on B-Complex, 1/4 tablet daily. You can find B-Complex in the vitamin section of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc.

@Wyorp Rock Sorry I haven't gotten back sooner. I just got home and she seems to be a lot worse. She was laying in the corner of our coop all fluffed up. I won't be able to get those b complex tablets for a while, but I do have this supplement: www.amazon.com/Thorne-Research-Complex-Vitamins-Capsules/dp/B00HST919C Would this work? I am working on getting some pictures and videos and will have those soon. She is currently in an 8 by 8 coop that we are working on building. I can get pictures of it as well.

20230518_161027.jpg
20230518_160757.jpg
20230518_160746.jpg
20230518_160724.jpg

I'm sorry, can you give the link to the video again, it's not working.

She's fluffing up - can you get photos of her poop?

The B Vitamin you have looks good. I know it's in capsule form and you want to give her 1/4 of it. Here's what to do.
Open the capsule and mix it with 1 teaspoon coconut oil, mix really well. Divide the oil mixture into 4 equal parts. You can roll the parts into a ball or pill shape. Stick them in the fridge or freezer to harden. Then you have 4 "doses". Does that make sense?

I'm sorry, can you give the link to the video again, it's not working.

She's fluffing up - can you get photos of her poop?

The B Vitamin you have looks good. I know it's in capsule form and you want to give her 1/4 of it. Here's what to do.
Open the capsule and mix it with 1 teaspoon coconut oil, mix really well. Divide the oil mixture into 4 equal parts. You can roll the parts into a ball or pill shape. Stick them in the fridge or freezer to harden. Then you have 4 "doses". Does that make sense?
Yes that makes sense. I'll give her that tomorrow. I can get a picture of her poop tomorrow. It is runny and a light brown color. Here is the link for the video:

Can you get a good clear photo of the bottom of her foot?

To me, she moves like she's injured her leg/foot. Compare the joint and leg carefully to the other to see if you note a big difference like swelling. If there's no swelling, then if she were mine, I'd wrap the leg with vet wrap to offer some support and see if that makes any difference in how she acts.
I'd still give the vitamins.

Back
Top Bottom