4 week old pullet cant walk right.

ManWithChicks

Songster
Jul 17, 2019
Man, today has been a hard one. This morning I'm woken up by a 2.5 week old chick hanging from one leg upside down from feeder. I heard it calling for help for about 15min before I realized. It seemed like it wouldnt walk right, but after about 30 minutes she seems fine.

Now I ended up fixing the feeder at the end of the day, hanging it rather then letting it sit on ground.

But when replacing the water I noticed my 4 week old pullet having a hard time walking , like she is dragging herself almost. Stumbling, and if I hold her on her back one of her legs goes straight out away from her body instead of curling up, its almost like she cant curl it up.. she keep sitting down and holding that sides wing out a bit.

Here's a video of me holding her, as I slightly tilt her her leg goes on way or the other.

Here she is trying to get away from me, you can see how she is not very stable, just yesterday she was fast and could turn on a dime.

One other weird thing was she pooped and it just kinda came out and stuck there, like she dodnt have the force to push it off her body.

Last edited:
No improvement overnight, I cant figure out what is going on. She kind of drags her feet, loses balance and sticks out one foot kinda forward when she is resting, which she does all day now. She still eats and drinks a lot. But cant walk well at all, I dont know what I'm supposed to do :(

If she had been walking normal before, and now lame, try calcium and B vitamins (people stuff is okay). Feel for an injury. The last thing that would concern me would be Marek's Virus. But you need to check out everything you can. Watch you other chicks 4-weeks or older- see if they do the same thing.

The symptoms sound like Marek's. I hope I'm wrong, I hope it's a calcium or Vitamin B deficiency .

If she had been walking normal before, and now lame, try calcium and B vitamins (people stuff is okay). Feel for an injury. The last thing that would concern me would be Marek's Virus. But you need to check out everything you can. Watch you other chicks 4-weeks or older- see if they do the same thing.

The symptoms sound like Marek's. I hope I'm wrong, I hope it's a calcium or Vitamin B deficiency .
I keep thinking Mareks, but so far no other chicks show signs. My adult chickens seem fine. I've hatched all of my own chickens from egg and havent vaccinated any.
I gave her some poultry cell, and actually made an appointment with an avian doctor for tomorrow which I've never done for a chicken (also dont want to go cuz corona).

She seems in pain, especially yesterday. I hope I can get this figured out. I had her separated, but she was not liking it and kept trying to jump out or on things. So I moved her back in with the 9 other chicks for tonight.

Mareks does not show up in chickens until much later usually, but is not possible until after the first 3 weeks of life. I think it is clear that you are dealing with an injury from the hanging incident, and she may have a slipped tendon or sprain. A dislocated leg or hip might be a problem as well. Most vets are not that helpful with leg problems unless it is a broken bone. I will post some threads about slipped tendons below. You could try the vitamins—anything sith B2 riboflavin or 1/4 tablet of vitamin B complex (not B12.) She may get better on her own, or if the tendon is slipped, you could try splinting after putting the tendon back in place. If you can find a vet who is experienced with slipped tendons, that would be great, but you may have as good a chance treating yourself. If you slpint, check the circulation often, since they can make things worse if circulation is cut off. Here are the links on helping fix a tendon:
https://www.chickenheavenonearth.co...u-can-do-to-help-chicken-heaven-on-earth.html

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/peachick-with-slipped-tendon.1092979/

Egg Marek's symptoms generally if not mostly show up after 6 weeks. I have had that happen generally near 6 weeks. Also symptomatic at a year old. After that its usually a bacterial ailment from common germs that grow out of control due to immunosuppression caused by Marek's. (Sorry about the ramble , I have nothing else to do, LOL

4 weeks would be highly unusual. And with chicks I would think you would have more than one chick symptomatic.

Egg those are great videos! Slipped tendon would be a much easier fix than a Virus.:fl

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom