4 week old Welsummer Pullet or Roo???

Hi Alanna. I was curious how old your Welsummer roo was when you took those pictures of him with the rooster tail forming? I have a Welsummer, and am waiting to see if it's a roo or not...

Glad I found this thread with the links on sexing. I was just out with my chicks (6 weeks) and noticed Athena was shiney. . . . I panicked and though "oh no, roo!" But, she looks like the pullets in these pictures and definitely had the chipmonk and eyeliner pattern. Maybe I will stay lucky! Hatchery sexing is supposed to be fairly accurate, isn't it? It will be a relief when they get to egg laying age and I can stop worrying about it.

Yes the black feathers on the chest are a give away. My wellie babies turned out to be a girl &2 boys. I got rid of one but the one I kept is lovely (at the moment!) he's about 14 weeks and us really starting to look like a proper cockerel now!

WELLIES CHICKS FEMALE DARK LINE RUNS FROM HEAD TO BACK ROO HAS SALMAN BEHIND NECK AND EYELINER IS DARK ON FEMAELS FEMALE LINES ON STRIP AND ON V ON HEAD ARE SHARP ROOS HAVE BLURRED LINES THE CORN FLAKE ROOSTER ON THE BOX IS A WELLIE! BEAUTIFUL SHOW ROOSTER!

If the coloring (for the last of better words) is the trick to sexing these chicks, then I'd say a roo too. I'd love to know the out come of your Wellie.
Here are my Wellies, about 1 week old today. We picked these three up at our local farm store and they give a 90% chance at sexing. Wanting a roo and after reading your thread, I am hoping I may have selected me a little roo out of a tub of probable 90% pullets.

Also, does anyone know if tail feathers play a role in roo or pullet guessing? I noticed the two outer pullets in my photo have tiny little feathers coming in and my middle pullet doesn't?? Is this another sign pointing me into the roo direction?

Another look at the facial markings

Here are my girls, just took this pic a few minutes ago. They are 8 weeks old today. Your little roo is so cute!
I know this is an old thread but I wondered how you knew these were girl? I have 4 that are 7 weeks old right now and I have no idea how to tell! Thanks!

I know this is an old thread but I wondered how you knew these were girl? I have 4 that are 7 weeks old right now and I have no idea how to tell! Thanks!

Welsummers can be sexed by feather color and growth. Females have salmon breast feathers, males get black feathers. Males also usually feather in much slower.

Back
Top Bottom