4 weeks old, blind in one eye

Donal2308

Chirping
Jan 19, 2020
I had a nest raided by a rat and the nest mate killed and part eaten. The one who survived was abandoned by the parents and is blind in one eye from the rat attack. I've been feeding it with thawed frozen peas but it isn't making any effort to start feeding itself. Is it that it can't focus on the feed or I wonder has something else happened? It's now undersized compared to batches of other youngsters hatched at the same time. They're all now pecking at feed and making small flights. This half blind chap isn't doing anything. Any thoughts anyone?

Sounds like it may be a bit too young to self feed. Do you have another pair that would be able to adopt it?
Thanks for the reply. 4 weeks is when I wean the young birds. He's also too small and still very weak to put in with the other youngsters, so he's not getting a chance to watch others feeding themselves. I'd be afraid to put him in with a brood pair to be adopted by them. I think they'd peck the head off him. I just was wondering if anyone out there had a pigeon who was blind in one eye. I'm wondering if he'll be compromised when he's flying.

Thanks for the reply. 4 weeks is when I wean the young birds. He's also too small and still very weak to put in with the other youngsters, so he's not getting a chance to watch others feeding themselves. I'd be afraid to put him in with a brood pair to be adopted by them. I think they'd peck the head off him. I just was wondering if anyone out there had a pigeon who was blind in one eye. I'm wondering if he'll be compromised when he's flying.
He’ll probably still be able to fly, but he won’t be able to fly as well as your fully sighted pigeons.

I'm so sorry to hear about your little one and his injury. I agree with your assessment above. I have not had that experience myself but I think he will continue to have a hard time.

Back
Top Bottom