4 year old bantam hen w/ reproductive issues

I had two hens with this issue. One got too sick and I had to put her down, and the other one strangely died within two days of me finding out she had an issue with it (I was actually going to the coop to get her to begin draining and she was dead inside the coop, I still have no idea why. It wasn’t even a very bad case of it). Short of continuous draining there isn’t much you can do :/

She is a very pretty girl! ❤
Thanks for sharing your experience.

I noticed that Olive has started roosting again. She wasn’t roosting even before she started molting. They have a pretty high roost, so I just assumed it was because she couldn’t get up there any more due to the ascites. But now that she’s doing it again, I’m confused. I’m glad that she isn’t declining yet.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Of course :hugs I know that this is untreatable for the most part but I hope that you are able to find a good solution
I noticed that Olive has started roosting again. She wasn’t roosting even before she started molting. They have a pretty high roost, so I just assumed it was because she couldn’t get up there any more due to the ascites. But now that she’s doing it again, I’m confused. I’m glad that she isn’t declining yet.
That’s positive! Maybe you could make her a shorter one as well, or one as a sort of step up (that’s what I have, also when I had a lot of birds, close to twenty I believe, the lower pecking order birds would roost there) so that it’s easier for her.

Also for the draining my dad and I looked up videos on YouTube and there were several helpful ones, if you are worried about doing it.

I forgot to add pictures of Olive on the roosting bar-
BF72C5A7-E05C-4DBB-A25F-CD442CF4245E.jpeg
6DE9CFD5-7A45-49C3-BA2B-A842BBCDECCA.jpeg

Of course :hugs I know that this is untreatable for the most part but I hope that you are able to find a good solution

That’s positive! Maybe you could make her a shorter one as well, or one as a sort of step up (that’s what I have, also when I had a lot of birds, close to twenty I believe, the lower pecking order birds would roost there) so that it’s easier for her.

Also for the draining my dad and I looked up videos on YouTube and there were several helpful ones, if you are worried about doing it.
I’ve been thinking about making her a lower roost. I just recently got some shorter scrap wood I could use, too. I’m sure the other chickens would appreciate it as a perch to use throughout the day as well.

Olive survived being bitten by a dog, her bumble foot seems to finally be recovering, and she’s still alive!
I know that her ascites hasn’t gone away, but it’s amazing to me that she’s still doing well. I guess whatever reproductive problem she has isn’t getting much worse since she doesn’t produce much egg material.
Picture from February 13th (when the dog bit her):
11758E84-E2D6-4DB3-954F-905F2F758FE1.jpeg

A couple days ago (her feathers are wet because I was cleaning her butt fluff off):
5276D3A9-D5F3-43F9-A2AE-5136F3A5FD6F.jpeg
C2BBFCEC-5B56-4D5F-8B12-217746C4ABCD.jpeg

AC010453-5C92-43BC-92A0-95B30EAD277C.jpeg
FB8607C4-4390-4692-9D6F-73AC47F7926C.jpeg

Took Olive to an avian vet. It’s a pretty long drive from where I live. Though she wasn’t getting worse, I thought it was time to see if something could be done about her issue.

According to the vet, her enlarged abdomen is most likely caused by ovarian cancer and/or an impacted oviduct. The vet also said that draining her would probably not help, and might actually harm her since the problem isn’t a buildup of fluid. (I’m glad I didn’t drain her.) The vet thought masses (caused by ovarian cancer and/or an impacted oviduct) are causing Olive’s abdomen to be swollen.

I suspect it’s the impacted oviduct. That means eggs are being stopped from being laid before they’re even fully sized eggs. That explains why she’s been alive and well for a whole year after this developed. If it was internal laying, I feel like she wouldn’t have survived this long. That’s also why I don’t think it’s ovarian cancer.

Unfortunately, the ultrasound (to find out whether it is ovarian cancer or an impacted oviduct) and the surgery to remove the oviduct (if impacted oviduct is the case) was too expensive for me. :( I wish I could do more for Olive, but I am glad I have a better idea of what her enlarged abdomen is caused by. It’s good that it doesn’t seem to be internal laying, which sounds worse than an impacted oviduct.

The vet also mentioned that Olive has a heart murmur due to the the masses pressing on her liver (which presses on her heart). I believe that this explains why she pants more than other chickens and sometimes gets pale in the face.

I’ll continue to observe Olive and see if she seems to be in any pain or great discomfort. She’s still acting normal.

Back
Top Bottom