4 year old rooster suddenly stopped crowing and is lethargic

Is he possibly molting? That can be a time when a usually dominant rooster appears weak or under the weather. Can you post any pictures of him? Green poop is usually from not eating enough. Would he eat some scrambled egg, tuna, or ground meat? Watery chicken feed mash is also good. If he is eating, but not pooping much you could offer a tsp of coconut oil chilled and cut into small bits.

Was this leg paralysis discovered within 24 hours of treating for the external parasites? Was there any petroleum distillates among the ingredients in the dusting powder? That should be the only connection between the lice treatment and the lameness occurring.

If there is no connection, the powder being non-toxic and approved for poultry, then his paralysis may be associated with an abrupt weather temperature change or weakness and malnourishment from not eating.

On no! I'm so sorry this is happening.
What are you using to treat the mites? Is he lethargic or just can't walk? Could he have gotten into something moldy?
I'll tag the experts. @azygous @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock
Our guess after all the help here and from other sites is he ate something, though I don't know what. He's now "star gazing" but he actually has been pooping, and tried to stand, so I thought maybe he's just in pain and not paralyzed? I left a message with a traveling farm vet, he's a little far but at this point I am now concerned about him in pain.

We got Gardstar dust, and also are using food grade diatamatious earth in the coop. He actually let us dust him, lifting his wings and everything like he enjoyed it, so we were hopeful. But this turn for the worst is disheartening.

Thank you for your help, a lot of people say we just need to kill him quickly but this is my daughters beloved pet, so I am letting her take care of him to feel she's trying everything before he passes. She is 11 and has raised him from hatching since 7 years old. He is such a good rooster, and its due to how she's raised him. I hope this vet can at least give him a peaceful passing, as he is really flailing a lot, flapping his wings, his comb has way more purple/grey totally (yesterday it was just a small bit on the back end of the comb) and he is syringe feeding/drinking and pooping. We are giving him arnica and some other homeopathy, as we've done this with them for years after reading about the use of homeopathy from a chicken vet. Just trying to make him comfortable. If he is in pain we are hoping the arnica can at least ease suffering. He is sure getting a lot of love and care right now. I'll see if I can get a pic or video to post.

Can you get b complex into him? You can get it at any pharmacy or Wal Mart, target. Also Wal Mart has Epsom salt bath gel in the pharmacy section, with regular Epsom salt. Slather any exposed skin and rub it in. It's less stressful than a bath, but that may perk him up. Really hoping that will help.

Our guess after all the help here and from other sites is he ate something, though I don't know what. He's now "star gazing" but he actually has been pooping, and tried to stand, so I thought maybe he's just in pain and not paralyzed? I left a message with a traveling farm vet, he's a little far but at this point I am now concerned about him in pain.

We got Gardstar dust, and also are using food grade diatamatious earth in the coop. He actually let us dust him, lifting his wings and everything like he enjoyed it, so we were hopeful. But this turn for the worst is disheartening.

Thank you for your help, a lot of people say we just need to kill him quickly but this is my daughters beloved pet, so I am letting her take care of him to feel she's trying everything before he passes. She is 11 and has raised him from hatching since 7 years old. He is such a good rooster, and its due to how she's raised him. I hope this vet can at least give him a peaceful passing, as he is really flailing a lot, flapping his wings, his comb has way more purple/grey totally (yesterday it was just a small bit on the back end of the comb) and he is syringe feeding/drinking and pooping. We are giving him arnica and some other homeopathy, as we've done this with them for years after reading about the use of homeopathy from a chicken vet. Just trying to make him comfortable. If he is in pain we are hoping the arnica can at least ease suffering. He is sure getting a lot of love and care right now. I'll see if I can get a pic or video to post.
I'm so sorry about this. :hugs
To me it sounds like he ate something.
I use homeopathy too.

Is he possibly molting? That can be a time when a usually dominant rooster appears weak or under the weather. Can you post any pictures of him? Green poop is usually from not eating enough. Would he eat some scrambled egg, tuna, or ground meat? Watery chicken feed mash is also good. If he is eating, but not pooping much you could offer a tsp of coconut oil chilled and cut into small bits.
On no! I'm so sorry this is happening.
What are you using to treat the mites? Is he lethargic or just can't walk? Could he have gotten into something moldy?
I'll tag the experts. @azygous @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock
Hey guys! I am desperate. I seem to live in an area where we don't have any chicken experts. Im waiting for the local vet to call back, but its been a full day and no word. Our very healthy, spirited Rhode Island Red rooster who's 4 years old suddenly stopped crowing this morning. The back end of his comb is grey/purple while the rest of it is still bright red. He is walking funny, like lethargic or drunk or both. We are giving him Rooster Booster in his water, which he does seem to like. He is quarantined with his favorite hen, who seems to be getting him to drink more. We have lost 3 chickens in the last 12 months, but this rooster is my daughters baby. Literally, she has carried him around every day since he was a newborn chick. He is her most beloved pet. He normally chases me, but he didn't seem to care at all when I was next to him. Very unlike himself. She's checked him and his poop for signs of worms but sees nothing. The other hens were pecking his feathers off pretty bad which is why we decided he needed separated. Its not like him to give in to such severe bullying. My daughter said he seems to keep his head down and butt up a lot. She also said he does feel thinner.

If anyone's gone through this with a diagnosis, I would be grateful for insight. It will break her heart if he doesn't just die of old age.

It’s not letting me post the video I took. 😓 he has wry neck, sometimes staring up “star gazing” and sometimes swinging it back and forth. His poops are green and super watery and smelly (according to my daughter). It does sound like something he ate or lack of nutrition. We did go on vacation last week, they were under my parents care (they live on property and the chickens are used to them) so maybe it was her going away for a week?

It’s not letting me post the video I took. 😓 he has wry neck, sometimes staring up “star gazing” and sometimes swinging it back and forth. His poops are green and super watery and smelly (according to my daughter). It does sound like something he ate or lack of nutrition. We did go on vacation last week, they were under my parents care (they live on property and the chickens are used to them) so maybe it was her going away for a week?
The poop is because he's not eating. If he has wry neck, get the b complex right away, of you have nutri drench or poultry cell give him that until you can get the b complex. It's really cheap.

The poop is because he's not eating. If he has wry neck, get the b complex right away, of you have nutri drench or poultry cell give him that until you can get the b complex. It's really cheap.
Thank you thank you! We only have the Rooster Booster, which he is loving, and after giving that to him consistently today, he actually stood up and stretched his neck out like normal, and flapped his wings. And not like earlier, where it was very disturbing looking. And his comb is perking up! We live right by Tractor Supply so I will grab some B complex asap!

Back
Top Bottom