4 year old Rooster's legs trembling while walking

Tanya22

Songster
5 Years
Oct 23, 2018
India
Hi everyone.
My Mr. Brownie is turning 4 years old day after tomorrow and the poor guy has struggled with Bumblefoot since before he turned 1. BUT this thread is not asking you for euthanasia advise, so please don't mention it.

A few months back, one of his legs developed 3 additional bumbles along with 1 large one he already had.
20220529_203911.jpg

I treated it and removed the bumbles and 3 disappeared and the large one reduced a lot. It looked like this a week back:
20220919_133910.jpg

However, his leg shivers and he sits down a lot.

His other foot had cleared but the Bumblefoot came back with a vengeance again. I'm again treating it.

Please note that his Bumblefoot (both feet) have never produced any pus. It's always been hard swelling.

I was told to remove his spurs, but it's not possible for me at home since there is a danger of cutting his bone. There's no vet here who can help and I'm just really worried about his legs.

I've started a 5 day course of multivitamins for him and am giving him 2 or 3 almonds daily for some extra strength, but otherwise I'm stumped as what to do. His diet is okay and he eats (bajra/pearl millet) and drinks happily. He takes dust baths, his poop is normal etc. The only issue is that his legs are troubling him and he sits a lot. Please help me out and tell me what can be done.

So sorry you are dealing with this.

From what I think I am seeing in the pictures, his spurs are quite long. I have trimmed much shorter spurs, so the good news there is the quick/sensitive area is much closer to the leg and there's no "bone" to worry about trimming. I've used wire cutters to trim them and you can find diagrams of how far you can usually trim without any real discomfort to the bird.

I'll defer to the rest of the board on the bumblefoot, but the spurs should definitely be trimmed for his comfort and mobility.

This article has a picture and instructions on trimming: https://www.cacklehatchery.com/how-to-trim-a-roosters-spurs-and-how-not-to/

Back
Top Bottom