40mph winds

Crazy4Chicks

Songster
12 Years
Nov 20, 2007
Glendale, AZ
Today the winds are a pain - they are gusting at 40mph - it is very hard to collect eggs when you can barely stand !!
Most of the chickens are staying in the coop, but a few brave it every once in awhile -
I was wondering Can high winds harm them? I am leaving the windows to the coop closed to help cut down on the wind blowing the pine shavings everywhere,

I know there is not much I can do to prevent winds but was just wondering what health problems - high winds can cause?

Julie

I am not sure of your day/night temps, but really, the high winds as long as they have shelter should be find. We live in Upstate NY, and just a couple weeks ago had very cold temps. with damaging winds clocked at 75 mph, they were all fine, thanks the secure coop my husband made. I wouldn't worry too much.

Stephanie

Mine go out in their run in the wind all the time, this afternoon we were kicking up gusts of 37 MPH - and they were picking around as normal.

I am not sure how far one would go if they decided to try FLY ....
gig.gif

Wind around here i spretty normal, and my girls don't even notice.

I keep an eye on mine - today was not the first time we had high winds , but I was just wondering if there was a health risk to them from breathing in dust/dirt or something like that.

Most of mine stayed in the coop, but a few would come out once in awhile, the poor banty's were having a hard time !!
I did notice a few hens walking sideways and even backwards a few times - I have to admit it was kinda funny

Julie

Quote:
I'm sure mine get more dirt up their noses when they're dust bathing than from the wind... take a good look next time yours start that fluffing around in the dust - its downright scary how much dirt they kick up!
gig.gif

We had strong winds today.....while I was trying to build a new duck pen.....my son almost blew over carrying a big piece of it.....HAD to laugh........ he wasn' t laughing though.......my roo looked way to funny with his tail feathers wrapped around his head.........the hens were laughing I know they were
gig.gif

Quote:
gig.gif
it seems my girls try to keep their heads into the wind.............. but its funny when it catches them from "behind"
gig.gif

Try adding several inches of snow to that wind!! we are having gust of 45mph and just wind of at least 22 and add several inches of snow and you get blizzard conditions and I drove 30mi through it to get home from work so I can take care of all my "babies" stupid I know. If its like this tomorrow snow day from work:D

Back
Top Bottom