4th Annual BYC NYD Hatch-a-long

If you don't know what it is, why would you say it is coryza? I would test the sick birds or at least one of them, if I were you.
No I don't, if you have say 50 birds that can get expensive. Don't get me wrong, but I would have no problem with it, even a sick bird that could be fixed with antibodies, won't stay alive at my house. Sick birds (which I don't have) would be culled.  I know it sounds insensitive, but that is how you keep your flock healthy, I've heard of numerous folks that are constantly using antibodies and don't know why their birds keep getting sick, well they have compromised their birds natural immune systems. So yes, a 20$ a swap, I wouldn't be doing it just for s**** and giggles to see if my chicks have some sorta of disease.  20$ can buy my household meat for 5 days, you way it out, buy a chick for say 3.50$ then test it for 20$ makes no sense to me. You still have to cull your chicks if it is positive. 
Seriously that's 200$  for 2$ chick. Worth it no. To many people are struggling to survive. I would suggest you know where your birds are from and always quarantine.

Agreed, and once again I don't want to sound insensitive. I do regular NPIP testing and I do examine my birds daily. 
I would too if I had geese or even chickens I paid that much for. But I don't have that kind of money. I totally agree with what you are saying. Is that made out of pine. When wet does it stink, like if they bump into the water and it drains all out? 
Also if YOU go around others places don't wear those shoes or clothes in with your flock. I wear plastic gardening type shoes when I visit others farms a d throw them in the "to be disenfected" basket when I get home. This is just another part of good bio security.

Information added to post 1 page 1

To clear up any confusion: Eggs will be set at 12:00 noon LOCAL time. Yes, this does mean that eggs will be set hours apart by different participants. This is why a picture will be needed of a wet chick with an atomic clock in the same picture. Here is a link to a good one.
When you set your eggs, please post a picture of the eggs so that we can verify how many eggs were set. All eggs need to be seen in the picture. Mstricer will copy the pictures and put them on a page for eggs set for the 4th Annual BYC NYD Hatch-a-long.

Last edited:

To clear up any confusion: Eggs will be set at 12:00 noon LOCAL time. Yes, this does mean that eggs will be set hours apart by different participants. This is why a picture will be needed of a wet chick with an atomic clock in the same picture. Here is a link to a good one.
When you set your eggs, please post a picture of the eggs so that we can verify how many eggs were set. All eggs need to be seen in the picture. Mstricer will copy the pictures and put them on a page for eggs set for the 4th Annual BYC NYD Hatch-a-long.

Is this just for those who are wanting to participate in the "first chick hatched" contest y'all are having within the NYD hatch-along? For those of us who aren't participating in that, can we set our eggs whenever? I wanted to set mine late at night on the 10th so I could have New Year's Eve and New Year's Day chicks (but do not want to participate in the first chick born contest). I just wanted to participate in the hatch-along, not the contest. Is that all right?

For the picture, I have eggs i set this week for Christmas hatch as well, How do I show which are set for NYD vs. Xmas? I had planned on setting them in the same incubator.

Is this just for those who are wanting to participate in the "first chick hatched" contest y'all are having within the NYD hatch-along?   For those of us who aren't participating in that, can we set our eggs whenever?  I wanted to set mine late at night on the 10th so I could have New Year's Eve and New Year's Day chicks (but do not want to participate in the first chick born contest).  I just wanted to participate in the hatch-along, not the contest.  Is that all right?

Yes and no. If not participating in the first chick contest, set whenever. We do need pictures of the eggs for other contests though (best hatch, how many eggs set, ...)

I'm not sure what an atomic clock is either, lol. As for a pic of the eggs, I'll have to get that today. I set them yesterday and need to get a pic before I do my first candling on day three or four! Mine are all in the same incubator (I have duck eggs from last week, plus chicken eggs from a few different sets. However, hopefully the set date that I have written on the eggs will show up in the picture to make it easier.

Back
Top Bottom