4th Annual BYC NYD Hatch-a-long

A deal breaker?  Respiratory issues.  No sneezing or coughing... like someone said not long after you asked, standing alone, hunching... etc. 
With yogurt or other favorite treats, you probably ought to put them in more than one place.  That way the babies get some and hopefully don't get beat up for it.

I plan on it for tomorrow. I also brought them a separate bowl of food but the leghorn sisters wouldn't let the others at the food so my daughter and I took them out and for a slow walk around the yard while the young ones got a chance to fill their crops :)

Ok im destined to win the worst hatch of all. :( My tempss were steady at 100 but since i added the eggs temp has spiked to 102. Yikes im failing before i get started good.

Weird 'cause usually the temperature drops? I've been running my incubator 3 days now and plan to continue to run it till I set and hatch. Hopefully when my eggs warm up, the temp will stay steady! If not, I'ma gonna scream bloody murder, LOL

It does get pretty darn warm in here in the evenings.The sun shinning directly on the room all day. I bet thats it thanks.Guess ill have to move it to a different room.Cant believe i didnt think of that. Thanks Marinecorp!!!

no prob. try an interior closet. That should stay pretty stable.
Basements work pretty well also. You just have to watch for a humidity difference as most basements tend to be a bit damp whereas the upper floors of a house tend to be much drier, especially this time of the year when so many of us are running the heat which pulls the humidity from the air.

lol most of us in bama dont have basements, we have crawl spaces
You also have really high humidity down there so basements would be a bad idea for the bator. The poor chickies would drown before they could hatch with 90% humidity
sad.png

Any suggestions on cleaning eggs? Our chickens don't use their nest boxes, so the eggs are sometimes pretty dirty. I know I'm not supposed to wash them, I was thinking about a fine grade sandpaper?

I am trying to catch up on the thread, but I do have a suggestion on cleaning eggs. My ducks love to lay in the mud, so we wash them in warm water, if REALLY muddy I use a tiny bit of dawn dish liquid, and a 3M natural scrubbing sponge (the tan one). It has little fibers that break up the mud, I do not scrub hard, just lightly. The eggs get clean, and they still have a bit of "browning" so I know the eggshell is not damaged or scratched.

I have a tracking number for my eggers from cpartist and Dick Horstman just e-mailed to let me know my "clutch" from him will be sent tomorrow morning so... they're all on their way to me or will be soon. Yay! Looks like I'll be participating in the hatch-along and I didn't know for sure if I would be able to. =]

Back
Top Bottom