4th Annual BYC NYD Hatch-a-long

I dont have a clock , zip , zelch , zero I use my cell phone or my computer for telling time I have for years . Does that mean I cant particpate?
Nope, that doesn't mean you can't participate. You bring the clock up on your computer and take a picture of the screen.

Shhhh. Don't tell the boss that I'm on BYC at work.
hide.gif

OMG I cannot keep up with all the chit chat on this thread. Are we also supposed to use this thread to confirm our set date/time etc with pics? I can't find pertinent info by weeding through this with all the extra comments :( When is the deadline to enter the contests? We will post links as days progress, once every puts their guesses in, we will link up the rest. All links will be listed on contest page. (their is a lot of chit chat that is part of the fun.

I plugged in the Hova Bator I borrowed and it seems to work well, keeps a reasonably consistent temp. Can anyone tell me what temp it needs to be and what the humidity should be until those last few days? This one also has an automatic turner so looks like my work will be to watch! I'm trying to collect some of my own eggs, but how do I know if they are fertile? Not sure my old rooster is doing his job these days, but I do have a couple young roos I can put in with the hens in his place. Can someone show me a pic of what a fertilized egg looks like? I understand you can tell by the white spot on the yolk. Also can we candle at 6 days to see if they were fertile or duds and remove the duds?
Your temp should be 99* to 100* humidity the last three days should be bumped up to 65-75% Yes you can candle at 6 days, but I would not throw any out until day 10 that early it maybe difficult to tell and some are a little slower to show.
I've never done this before (hatched my own nor joined the hatch-along) ... do we take a pic and submit at noon on the 11th? Then we just wait and announce what we got when they hatch or?? I gather we aren't supposed to give number before hand since that messes with some contests. Are we allowed to say breeds? What info do we have to give?
Your first hatch YEAH, Yes you take a pic of the eggs set, all eggs need to be seen in picture. You can list breeds, there will be a link, like what you filled out to join the hatch.
Also, how do I keep my eggs prior to setting? I read that they should be stored at 12-15 celcius, but I have no where that is that temp. Fridge is much colder, outside is colder yet, so I put them in a carton in my son's room which only gets to about 19 celcius. Will this be okay or will the start growing before they are supposed to?
Yes that will be fine. I put mine in a spare room that the vents are closed.

Sorry for all the questions!
Don't be sorry, all questions are welcomed
wink.png

Set late....4pm set time
13 pekin
11 ancona

Go duckies..
frow.gif
Shhhh on the amount you set, contest going on.
wink.png

I have a question I joined the hatch along or I think I did it right . But I have serama and jumbo brown quail and my button even laid an egg today , my question is do I have to pick one to use for the hatch along or can I add each on there own day so they are all due the same day?. Thank you
No on the first page will tell you when you need to set the quail eggs so they all hatch on NYD
Ditto, I knew about the first, but the second? Wow. And what's really bad is, I've always been very careful about not posting pictures of myself on the internet because it creeps me out that it's so public, yet my family have posted pictures of me on facebook multiple times, and it's like the cat is out of the bag
he.gif
I really like my anonymity and privacy (otherwise I woulda gone into acting or something, right, LOL)
yesss.gif

Thank you! Yes it is my first hatch. I'm not home during the day in order to tilt, but I will tilt it morning and evening and hope that will suffice.
That will be fine, try to do it at different times, like one day when you wake up, then another before you leave and maybe twice in the evening when you come home

I have another question too - what is a reasonable cost for purchasing fertilized eggs from someone who just has backyard chickens and isn't guaranteeing they are fertile?

Shelley

I've just totally got lost in this thread. Im like almost 700 posts behind.... SMH. So what have yall been talkin about?
Well lots, about contest, hatching, where buy eggs, what weather is like, google image, using your pictures. Man you better get reading you are way behind
wink.png

Ok im destined to win the worst hatch of all.
sad.png
My tempss were steady at 100 but since i added the eggs temp has spiked to 102. Yikes im failing before i get started good.
DON'T adjust it until 24 hours, if it still is high, turn it down a little and wait another 24 hrs
It does get pretty darn warm in here in the evenings.The sun shinning directly on the room all day. I bet thats it thanks.Guess ill have to move it to a different room.Cant believe i didnt think of that. Thanks Marinecorp!!!
Don't put it in direct sunlight. I have mine in a closet.
Quote:
thumbsup.gif

lol most of us in bama dont have basements, we have crawl spaces
That would be tricky
Quote: I have a pair of boots that I only use in my yard and never wear anywhere else. Good plan
Quote: Yes
I couldn't get the URL to work, what would be considered an atomic clock?
http://www.worldtimeserver.com/current_time_in_US-OH.aspx Change the state to your state. Jim had the link, linked with his next sentence. oops. The link above is the one I linked in the contest page.

I posted this question somewhere else too.

It states take pic of all eggs in one picture.

I will have chicken eggs set on the 12/11 in my cabinet bator and quail eggs set 12/18 in one of my Hovabator's. How do I get them all in the same picture?

idunno.gif

I posted this question somewhere else too.

It states take pic of all eggs in one picture.

I will have chicken eggs set on the 12/11 in my cabinet bator and quail eggs set 12/18 in one of my Hovabator's. How do I get them all in the same picture?

idunno.gif
I had to take multiple pictures last year. I usually am out of turner space so I start in egg cartons so I took pictures of several cartons at a time.

Back
Top Bottom