4th Annual BYC NYD Hatch-a-long

One of the new ways for people to get diseases is all the egg ordering from sources you have no knowledge about. Hatching out those birds and placing them in with your healthy flocks. Some diseases are spread into the eggs. Corza is not one of them. MG is. Always test your new hatches from outside sources BEFORE you expose them to your healthy flock. I have never ordered eggs for hatching before. This will be my first time. I will be practicing responsible animal husbandry and swabbing all the chicks at 3 weeks. There are people out there who do not care if you buy diseased eggs from them, they want your money.
How can I have them tested? does it cost alot?
Prevention requires eradication of the disease (depopulation), good husbandry, strict biosecurity, all in-all out program, raise own breeder replacement, and do not mix ages or species. Most outbreaks occur as a result of mixing flocks. If you have an outbreak, segregate birds by age, etc., properly dispose of birds, medicate to stop the spread of the disease and initiate eradication procedures. Do not save recovered birds for breeder replacements. Do not eat diseased birds. Premises should be vacant for 30 to 60 days after cleaning and disinfecting before repopulating of any birds. Breeders should be replaced from a Coryza-clean source.
we only raise birds for their eggs. Every once in awhile I will hatch some but other than that I buy hatching eggs/already hatched chicks.
and what if all the chicks before are healthy and we add them in with the bigger girls? Would that cause something?
sad.png

Quote: well theres good news. I will be able to hatch their eggs! Unless somebody new decides to spring it on me. Since I saw it early enough and separated quickly, only four got it. all the other 54 are okay. the four that got it are doing so good!!! three are pretty much all fine so I will have to wait awhile to make sure they dont carry it over to the flock and the other one is still crusty but is doing so much better
celebrate.gif
I didnt lose any to this which i am excited about

Im not sure. still looking into how long a bird is a carrier for it. two weeks ago we got 17 new chickens but everybody looked healthy.
A bird is a carrier for life...... Coryza does not pass vertically to the egg. However, its transmission to the rest of the flock is widespread and thorough through a host of ways. One way is through contaminated drinking water. Once an infected bird drinks from a community drinking trough, it leaves behind the bacteria through its nasal discharge. Water also becomes contaminated by feces that end up in the water and also through the dust in the air that contains bacteria and settles into the water. Infection of Corza can be slight and almost unnotable in some birds. You might think you only have a few birds showing signs, however the chances are the whole flock has been exposed.
We have covered buckets and nipple waterers for the watering system. So hopefully thats not the cause. We should probably disinfect the dispensers once every few days to keep it from getting too bad..

Thank you for all your information! Very helpful :)

Once a bird has corza, it looks and acts healthy. It is not. It is a time bomb. It will give the disease to other birds. Once you have it you will never get rid of it as long as you have the same chickens. You need to build a new coop away from your present coop on land that the birds have not traveled. Once you put new birds in the new coop you need to test them at three weeks. If they are clear, you are safe to start over. Do not use incubators you have used in the past, unless you replace all motor parts and put the rest in the dishwasher or sun for 12 hours. The water system is only one of the ways corza travels. Corza travels in the dust and is also breathed in. Bio security folks who purchase birds/eggs from strangers. The cost of a test is usually under $20 at your State vets lab. Well worth it.

Once a bird has corza, it looks and acts healthy. It is not. It is a time bomb. It will give the disease to other birds. Once you have it you will never get rid of it as long as you have the same chickens. You need to build a new coop away from your present coop on land that the birds have not traveled. Once you put new birds in the new coop you need to test them at three weeks. If they are clear, you are safe to start over. Do not use incubators you have used in the past, unless you replace all motor parts and put the rest in the dishwasher or sun for 12 hours. The water system is only one of the ways corza travels. Corza travels in the dust and is also breathed in. Bio security folks who purchase birds/eggs from strangers. The cost of a test is usually under $20 at your State vets lab. Well worth it.
That is pretty costly if you have a lot of chicks hatching, most of us would find it expensive. I hatch mostly my own chicks unless it is from someone on here, and I have purchased from them before.

Sorry i havent posted in a while. I have to read 500 posts. wanna help filling me in?
Lots of chit chat, nothing too major until next week when the PO explodes from shipping eggs being sent left and right in the middle of winter.

Word of advise to those of you shipping to the West Coast, watch the weather they are getting nasty weather in some parts, which could impact delivery. I also would say to send them on the 6th, if shipping there, I sent an express package there and it took 3 days.

One of the new ways for people to get diseases is all the egg ordering from sources you have no knowledge about. Hatching out those birds and placing them in with your healthy flocks. Some diseases are spread into the eggs. Corza is not one of them. MG is. Always test your new hatches from outside sources BEFORE you expose them to your healthy flock. I have never ordered eggs for hatching before. This will be my first time. I will be practicing responsible animal husbandry and swabbing all the chicks at 3 weeks. There are people out there who do not care if you buy diseased eggs from them, they want your money.

I am interested in having my chicks that have hatched from outside sources tested. Do you do this yourself or do you send the swabs to a lab? I would appreciate any information you can provide! Please PM me if you don't want to post on the board. Thanks!!!

Brandy

do you mean after I kill everybody else?!
sad.png

Im sorry I know you are trying to help me but I cant do that.
I mean, maybe it wasnt coryza! everybody that got this is well now within a few days and you cant even tell they had it..

Back
Top Bottom